June 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Garden Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Marsi - 🌞 soaping in the garden 🌱🐛
2. Tara_H - I was hoping for an inspiration challenge!
3. Vicki C - my two favorite pastimes!
4. Jersey Girl- Gardening and Soaping are my two favorite things!
5. dibbles - so many options!
6. Glendam - this sounds like so much fun
7. MrsZ - I really want to try this!
8. AMD - anything to avoid weeding my actual garden...
9. Peachy Clean Soap - This is gonna be challenging & fun.
10. earlene - Soap making has been added my therapy plan for my thumb per my OT; and I have a vision
11. KimW
12. peachymoon - I was gonna sit this one out, but there are so many inspirational green thumbs in my family that it felt so wrong!!

10. earlene - Soap making has been added my therapy plan for my thumb per my OT; and I have a vision
11. KimW
12. peachymoon - I was gonna sit this one out, but there are so many inspirational green thumbs in my family that it felt so wrong!!
13. I’m not much of a gardener but I do love flowers, so count me in.

. Marsi - 🌞 soaping in the garden 🌱🐛
11. KimW

. Marsi - 🌞 soaping in the garden 🌱🐛
11. KimW
#13 - linne1gi

11. KimW
13. linne1gi - I’m not much of a gardener but I do love flowers, so count me in.

I can't see the inspiration photos...? 😔 it just takes me to an ig login page, but I'm not sure if I am advanced enough for this anyway. Sounds complicated. 😅 I am anxious to see all the gorgeous soaps you guys come up with tho!!! Good luck everyone! 👍

Yes, I was just about to say - I can't see the inspiration pictures! I just get this page

Screenshot_20210605_142043.jpg

I love the idea of this challenge though, can't wait to see what everyone comes up with

I can't see the inspiration photos...? 😔 it just takes me to an ig login page, but I'm not sure if I am advanced enough for this anyway. Sounds complicated. 😅 I am anxious to see all the gorgeous soaps you guys come up with tho!!! Good luck everyone! 👍
Yes, I was just about to say - I can't see the inspiration pictures! I just get this page

I love the idea of this challenge though, can't wait to see what everyone comes up with

i took some screenshots
hope this works
*edit* i have to make multiple posts
more than 5 pictures and
computer says :shakinghead:

Here’s some inspiration for the design:

First some florals:

Piped soap and soap dough:

Screenshot_2021-06-05 Winterlake Soaps on Instagram “Mother’s Day is coming up Send Mom some f...png

A brush embroidery like technique (I think):

Screenshot_2021-06-05 Lilasuds Desirée on Instagram “May your Friday be awesome and you get y...png

A column pour:

Screenshot_2021-06-05 Елена Попова on Instagram “Мыло «Маки» 🌺🌺🌺 Шесть лет назад, когда я толь...png

Soap Stencils:

Screenshot_2021-06-05 Sorcery Soap 🔮 on Instagram “Soap stencils have taken on a whole new mea...png

A stunning MP example:

Screenshot_2021-06-05 emilia giblewska-kryger on Instagram “#mpsoap #artisansoaps #soapmaker #...png

Thanks @Marsi !
I'm so sorry you couldn't see the pictures @gladysjones and @Primrose ! I logged out and tried to look at them and it worked, so I assumed it would work for everyone, but apparently I was wrong..

Oh and @gladysjones please don't be discouraged! This is an inspiration challenge, which means you can do whatever you feel comfortable doing, as long as it's inspired by a garden😉

Thanks @Marsi !
I'm so sorry you couldn't see the pictures @gladysjones and @Primrose ! I logged out and tried to look at them and it worked, so I assumed it would work for everyone, but apparently I was wrong..

Oh and @gladysjones please don't be discouraged! This is an inspiration challenge, which means you can do whatever you feel comfortable doing, as long as it's inspired by a garden😉
Yes. Ty @Marsi ! And those epics are wow ! So pretty. Love the green apple one. Youre right @szaza I'll think about it. See if I can come up with something. Is there a deadline for registering?

The different shades of pink will (haha, loving my optimism here 🤣 ) be created by making small batches of soap with varying concentrations of dock root which has been dug up from our garden. Husband has learned to identify it and is very usefully digging them up and gifting me bundles of roots. 🥰
I must have missed this one somewhere, dock roots can make a pink colour? How do you do this?

I must have missed this one somewhere, dock roots can make a pink colour? How do you do this?
There are a few threads about it - I think this is the one that gave me the idea:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/natural-raspberry-pink-soap.83883/
So far I've got muted shades of pink from it, the third soap in this post is an example:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-may-2021-challenge-one-pot-wonder.83902/post-893063
I did an infused batch yesterday with very fresh root, shredded as finely as my food processor will manage, and re-using the previously infused oil to see if I can get a double dose of colour in it. It's currently draining.

@Miffybear @Tara_H
to add to the pink, rhubarb is in the same family as yellow dock

an oil extraction of these roots will yield a yellow extract that turns pink in alkali/soap

this is my rhubarb root pink soap
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/attachments/opw-salt-rhubarb-jpg.57986
Sorrel root extract should also go pink in soap

*tl;dr
family Polygonaceae, subfamily Polygonoideae, tribe Rumicaea
Rhubarb is genus Rheum
Bitter Dock and Sorrel are genus Rumex

Last edited:
11. KimW
13. linne1gi - I’m not much of a gardener but I do love flowers, so count me in.
14.bookreader451 - okay going to try harder this month. I am having soapy withdrawal.

I have 'sort of' tried this theme using some small columns in a slab mold... I actually did 3 different designs and while they look really nice, it wasn't what I was going for. Not sure my skills are suited for this challenge - it's definitely harder than it sounds. Anxiously awaiting to see what others do - both entries and non entries.

11. KimW
14.bookreader451 - okay going to try harder this month. I am having soapy withdrawal.
15. Violets2217- I can’t ignore this post any longer, I’m giving it a shot!

Latest posts

Back