Jumping Back into the Soap (Fire)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrie Malesko

Reaction score
I have not made CP soap for several years and want to make it again. I have about 30 bottles of EO's and FO's that I hope to use. I have a Key West EO from A Garden Eastward that I love. I can't find this place online. Is it gone? I see many of my old suppliers are gone!! Where can I get a small supply of some oils (Almond or Avacado) and a few added EO's?? Does anyone have a favorite? Thanks, Lamales

Sadly, A Garden Eastward is long gone. That was one of my favorites too! Check locally for most soaping oils... Spectrum is good & NOW brand. Walmart online carries a lot of different oils too. Welcome back!

I have not made CP soap for several years and want to make it again. I have about 30 bottles of EO's and FO's that I hope to use. I have a Key West EO from A Garden Eastward that I love. I can't find this place online. Is it gone? I see many of my old suppliers are gone!! Where can I get a small supply of some oils (Almond or Avacado) and a few added EO's?? Does anyone have a favorite? Thanks, Lamales

I haven't looked in any grocery stores in Michigan for Almond oil, but none of the big chain grocery stores I shop in seem to carry it in the cooking oils aisles anymore. Avocado oil is commonly found there, though, in many grocery stores. If you have a grocer with a fairly large Health & Beauty or Health Foods section, you may find Almond oil, as well as a few Essential Oils there. If not, if you have The Vitamin Shoppe somewhere nearby, they carry a decent variety of EO's.

For online ordering, Soaper's Choice is in Illinois, so shipping to Michigan should be affordable for you and their prices are very good. They sell a wonderful variety of oils. For colorants and other soaping supplies, you might like Nurture Soap in Indiana, also not far from your state, so shipping may be affordable from there as well.

https://www.soaperschoice.com/product-list-2

https://nurturesoap.com/

PS: Welcome back.
PPS: Last time I was in Michigan I bought milk in a bag and the corresponding plastic container with the little notch to close the bag. I wish we could buy milk in a bag here, but it's not available in any of our stores that I have seen. It was pretty tasty milk, too.

Where in Michigan. Some of the Health Food stores carry Almond Oil. It’s not cheap though. I order from Natures Garden or Soapers Choice. Orders arrive in a day or two. I ordered from NG Thursday morning and my order was at my door yesterday. There’s also Wellington Fragrance in Livonia. I haven ordered from them in quite some time but you can pick up from there.

I haven't looked in any grocery stores in Michigan for Almond oil, but none of the big chain grocery stores I shop in seem to carry it in the cooking oils aisles anymore. Avocado oil is commonly found there, though, in many grocery stores. If you have a grocer with a fairly large Health & Beauty or Health Foods section, you may find Almond oil, as well as a few Essential Oils there. If not, if you have The Vitamin Shoppe somewhere nearby, they carry a decent variety of EO's.

For online ordering, Soaper's Choice is in Illinois, so shipping to Michigan should be affordable for you and their prices are very good. They sell a wonderful variety of oils. For colorants and other soaping supplies, you might like Nurture Soap in Indiana, also not far from your state, so shipping may be affordable from there as well.

https://www.soaperschoice.com/product-list-2

https://nurturesoap.com/

PS: Welcome back.
PPS: Last time I was in Michigan I bought milk in a bag and the corresponding plastic container with the little notch to close the bag. I wish we could buy milk in a bag here, but it's not available in any of our stores that I have seen. It was pretty tasty milk, too.

Thank you all very much! I will check out the web pages today. I will definitely order online, as I want to also get a few carrier oils. Thanks again!

Hi Lorrie, welcome back (from Australia :)).

If you have not been soaping for several years, and your EO's are from that time, then some of them may no longer be good to use in soap. Lavender and Tea Tree are two that definitely will not have lasted the distance (and it won't matter how well you've stored them, they oxidize in the bottle all by themselves). Some of the wood EO's last for a very long time if they are stored well, so it is EO dependent, unfortunately.

Welcome back to soaping! (it IS an addiction!) :)

Hi Lorrie! I'm in Michigan too. I can find a variety of oils at Meijer in the baking aisle. Sometimes I can find things like lard or red palm oil in the ethnic sections. My favorite thing to get at Meijer is their olive oil. It's been about 2 years since I bought one but I think it's a gallon jug (7 lbs) for about $20.

Thank you all for your welcome and your comments and advice. SaltedFig, I didn't realize that some EO's would not work after a few years. I'll check online to see if I can find any information about this. I just assumed that if there is a scent, they must still be good to use. I'll know after my first batch! I do know that soap making is an addiction.........plus it's fun!

I didn't realize that some EO's would not work after a few years.
For what it's worth, I haven't experienced EOs going south after a few years. Some actually improve, like patchouli for example, and WSP's Bladderwrack - couldn't stand it when I first got it. I soaped it a year later and it is one of my favorites. Too bad they don't offer it in small sizes any more. That's not to say it can't happen... a lot depends on how they're stored... cool and dark is good... refrigerate is better. I also have an Orange/Ginger blend stored in FCO for a few years. Every time I sniff it, it smells just like when I first made it. :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back