July Soapmaking Forum Challenge - Mythological Creatures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ideas, just not sure if I will get it made on time. Hope to get some soapy time this weekend

The challenge host also usually posts a comment in the monthly challenge thread stating the entry thread has been posted and gives a link. It will also be linked at the top of the page just below the link to this month's challenge (THAT LINK IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING, however.)

So you should have no trouble finding it. If you don't see it, just look in the Lye-Based Soap Forum for any threads you have not as yet read and it will be there on the date (or soon thereafter) as indicated in the first post of this thread.

I was just standing in my kitchen, making dinner and reading the forum at the same time, like everyone else does... I was thinking of the challenge and a cool idea another soaper had and suddenly had an IDEA. So, though I am very happy with my first attempt, I think I know what I'm doing this evening.

Last edited:
I have been fixated on one thing, and that is trying to adapt a technique for a particular fluid acrylic paint pour to soap. The first try was my most successful, and nothing I am satisfied with. I feel like this should be doable, but can't quite get there. I've tried 4 - or maybe 5 - times. I don't know if I will have the heart to try again. Then again I might because...dog with bone syndrome. The biggest problem is that I have to use my slab mold, and aside from not being able to do a small batch I don't like the size of the bars from that mold. So yeah - whine, whine, whine. I'll post the idea even if I don't end up having an entry, and maybe someone else can figure it out.

Time for a back up plan me thinks.

The entry thread is now up, you can find a link to it at the top of the forum in a banner, I can’t seem to link on my phone but search ‘mythological entry thread’ and it should come up for you. Thanks for taking part everyone :)

Oh the dilemma, artemis. It's so hard sometimes. I am convinced that when I choose the one I like the most over the one I think others will think is better, I am being true to myself at the expense of not 'winning'. Skill over personality? It's a toss-up. I prefer personality, but then, I also admire skill. So gain, a toss-up.

dibbles
, that Wing Pour technique is fantastic. I started watching her videos after your post and I want to try it now, too! So cool! Gorgeous Phoenix Rising soap.

Last edited:
Oh the dilemma, artemis. It's so hard sometimes. I am convinced that when I choose the one I like the most over the one I think others will think is better, I am being true to myself at the expense of not 'winning'. Skill over personality? It's a toss-up. I prefer personality, but then, I also admire skill. So gain, a toss-up.

dibbles
, that Wing Pour technique is fantastic. I started watching her videos after your post and I want to try it now, too! So cool! Gorgeous Phoenix Rising soap.
Thank you earlene. The best tip I can give you is to pour a base, let it set up so you can tip your mold without the base moving. For the wing pour part, you want the trace to be slightly more than emulsion, slightly less than light trace. I think somewhere Kristin described the paint as being 'drinking yogurt' consistency. If I were to err on one side or the other, I'd go for more toward light trace. I like watching the fluid pour videos - they are mesmerizing.

Earlene,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Two of those will never be duplicated again. Those small balls of soap... *cringing as I type this* I would have preferred to cane, but the muse wants what the muse wants. She is relentless in her need to punish me. I cant wait for the other entries. Dibble's pour is just spectacular.

Serene, I truly can't imagine making all those tiny soap balls. Or the patience it took. You have serious skills. My left over soap dough from the (was it?) January challenge is mocking me. And thank you.

@artemis follow your heart if one speaks more to you than the other. But please post your runner up here :)

@amd cute pandacorn.

Last edited by a moderator:
My genius friend had a brilliant idea, so now I don't have to choose... I'll post my entry in a bit.

Wait-- how much of my process do I have to show this time?

1. earlene - because I love thunder & lightening so much, I am thinking thunderbird
2. BattleGnome - love mythology, so many options
3. Penelopejane - sounds out of this world.
4. dibbles - I'll play
5. Misschief - thinking, thinking, thinking
6. jcandleattic - this is my cuppa tea... :)
7. amd - maybe inspiration for this month will be better than it was for sci-fi
8. Sonya-m - I can’t remember the last time I look part!!
9. Serene- the hardest part is picking one of the 3 things I am thinking of.
10. scard- fantastic!
11. SunRiseArts (✿◕‿◕✿)
12. Primrose - OK I'm in
13. Artemis- time to dig out the leftover soap dough!
14. OldHippie

The entry thread is open. I'm not seeing a link at the top of the page yet, but Saponista said to search 'July Mythological Creatures Entry Thread'. That seemed to work.
Thank you!
I guess I better get to working on my soaps then! HAHA

So far all the ones in the entry thread are all awesome. I wish I could work with soap dough... I probably could, but the learning curve on how to carve and put it all together would be too steep to get it done in time for this challenge. (I've tried working with clay before and it's actually pretty pathetic! HA)

Just combining into one list :). Welcome to the fun OldHippie!

1. earlene - because I love thunder & lightening so much, I am thinking thunderbird
2. BattleGnome - love mythology, so many options
3. Penelopejane - sounds out of this world.
4. dibbles - I'll play
5. Misschief - thinking, thinking, thinking
6. jcandleattic - this is my cuppa tea... :)
7. amd - maybe inspiration for this month will be better than it was for sci-fi
8. Sonya-m - I can’t remember the last time I look part!!
9. Serene- the hardest part is picking one of the 3 things I am thinking of.
10. scard- fantastic!
11. SunRiseArts (✿◕‿◕✿)
12. Primrose - OK I'm in
13. Artemis- time to dig out the leftover soap dough!
14. OldHippie

@artemis Super cute! I think your gnome should charge more for his natural cure all soap though!

Back