July 2022 SMF Challenge - Kiss Pour Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What process is everyone using to determine the amount of batter needed for the batch. A full batch in my slab mold requires 3,400g of fats. Thinking I'll cut that down to a third for this design. Does that sound about right? That should bring me to an inch of batter, give or take. Thoughts? I am only going to do one attempt.

1. glendam - Nice opportunity to test my divided cup!
2. linne1gi - This is one of my favorite techniques.
3. Mx6inpenn - I love this technique
4. AliOop - great excuse to buy a divided pitcher! :)
5. Mobjack - I need a groovy neon soap in my collection
6. gardengeek - Work has been stressful lately - maybe I need a kiss!
7.WhittanyWho - Allons-y!
8. The_Phoenix - I've been meaning to make a kiss-pour design.
9. VikingChick - It’s been a minute since I’ve participated In one of these! I have two ideas….hmmmmm…..🤔

What process is everyone using to determine the amount of batter needed for the batch. A full batch in my slab mold requires 3,400g of fats. Thinking I'll cut that down to a third for this design. Does that sound about right? That should bring me to an inch of batter, give or take. Thoughts? I am only going to do one attempt.
I made my first (and probably only) attempt today! I‘m not sure of the total volume my slab mold holds, but it’s the 9-bar one from BB and is 6.75 X 9.75 X 2:5 inches. I ended up scaling my recipe to 1360 g (3 lbs) of oils and it worked well. After the pour it’s about 1.75” thick, so should be just enough to slice off the top and bottom if needed.

So by my estimation, it came out to about 70% of the full capacity of the mold.

1. glendam - Nice opportunity to test my divided cup!
2. linne1gi - This is one of my favorite techniques.
3. Mx6inpenn - I love this technique
4. AliOop - great excuse to buy a divided pitcher! :)
5. Mobjack - I need a groovy neon soap in my collection
6. gardengeek - Work has been stressful lately - maybe I need a kiss!
7.WhittanyWho - Allons-y!
8. The_Phoenix - I've been meaning to make a kiss-pour design.
9. VikingChick - It’s been a minute since I’ve participated In one of these! I have two ideas….hmmmmm…..🤔
10. ME! Kiwimoose! One attempt, and one attempt only, and I'm doing it today...

You might want to plane the tops - it does help reveal the beauty under the surface. If so, allow a little extra depth to plane off. The soap I made in the first post was poured between 1.25-1.5" thick so that I could plane it. Also keep in mind that you probably won't scrape your pouring pitchers into the slab - it will likely muddle a bit if you do. I had a small cavity mold to use for scraping the end of the batter from the pitchers.

Last edited:
You might want to plane the tops - it does help reveal the beauty under the surface. If so, allow a little extra depth to plane off. The soap I made in the first post was poured between 1.25-1.5" thick so that I could plane it. Also keep in mind that you probably won't scrape your pouring pitchers into the slab - it will likely muddle a bit if you do. I had a small cavity mold to use for scraping the end of the batter from the pitchers.
I did exactly that. I ended up using my smaller slab mold and just stopped pouring when I hit an appropriate depth, then poured the remaining batter into individual cavities.

A few take-aways: don't rush the pour. Towards the end I did just that and the colors began to muddle, Nice and steady stream, keep it thin. Second, I kept a towel just dangling over the edge of the mold to capture any drips as I moved the pouring containers away. Any drips could ruin the design. As soon as I finished my pour, I quickly (and carefully) moved both containers simultaneously towards the towel. Most of the drips went onto the towel rather than into the mold. Hope that makes sense.

The colors I chose didn't come out as I had hoped, but I am adhering to my "one-and-done" rule.

Now I'm so excited to see what you have made!
Wait til you see mine Dibbles! I'm not sure if I'll be disqualified - but I will put a full explanation up when the entries open and you can decide if I'm eligible to enter or not. It was a genuine attempt at a kiss pour - but emphasis on the word 'attempt'.

Wait til you see mine Dibbles! I'm not sure if I'll be disqualified - but I will put a full explanation up when the entries open and you can decide if I'm eligible to enter or not. It was a genuine attempt at a kiss pour - but emphasis on the word 'attempt'.
Would you say you didn't quite make it to "first base?" 😂

As long as you poured from two pitchers, I don't think anything would disqualify an entry. The trying is what counts!

I gave it a go today, twice 😂. The first one could be an entry. The second one got swirled. I may give it one more try now that I know what I’m doing. I used long spout pitchers for the first batch and cups for the second batch. For me, pouring through long spouts made it easier to stay close to the surface of the soap.

Back