July 2021 SMF Soap Un-Challenge - Confetti/Cubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the SMF July 2021 Un-Challenge – Confetti Shreds/Cubes

Welcome to the SMF July 2021 Un-Challenge featuring soaps made with confetti shreds and/or cubes (AKA What’s Old is New Again). We all have them – those soaps that didn’t meet our design expectations, have lost their lovely fragrance and the meat soap rebatch beauties. For this un-challenge you will create soaps that include confetti somewhere in the design. There is no requirement for the size of the confetti you use, but try to keep it small enough that it doesn't venture into embed territory. You may use any technique(s) or mold, and any method of soap making you choose. Some ideas for inspiration are shown below, but make it your own.

1. Any SMF member may participate in this Un-Challenge, regardless of length of membership or number of posts.
2. While the confetti element used may be from old soap, the soap base must be made after the Un-Challenge announcement is posted (so no confetti soaps that were completed before 6/1/2021).
3. Make and post pictures of as many soaps as you would like. There will not be a separate entry thread and there will not be a vote, so post pictures of your creations here at any time. Photos of failures are just as welcome as photos of successes. If you care to share "before" pictures of the soap used for the confetti along with the finished masterpiece (Ugly Duckling to Swan), please do!
4. If your design is inspired by another maker, please give them credit.
5. A sign up list will be posted, however if you make a confetti soap and want to share it but haven't officially signed up, please do! This is meant to be relaxed and fun!
6. Experiments are always interesting. If you learned something, please share. As always, please keep comments kind and have fun!

Some helpful videos:

Some inspiration:

Use a little, by Duncannon Soap Company
Duncannon Soap Company.JPG
Or use a lot, by Back Room Soapery
Back Room Soapery.JPG

Make trees
by Bubbledream
Bubbledream.JPG
by Meu Sabao
Meu Sabao.JPG

Make a confetti embed, by DM Apothecary
D M Apothecary.JPG

Use a neutral color palette, by Ulyana Buharina
Ulyana Buharina.JPG

Or make a rainbow, by Missouri River Soap
Missouri River Soap.JPG

Drinks are cute, by Soap and Restless
Soap and Restless.JPG

Combine shreds and cubes, by The Nature in Us
The Nature In Us.JPG

Make confetti layer(s), by One Leaf Soap
One Leaf Soap.JPG

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!

If you want to sign up, copy the list and add your name in a new post.

1. Spowers - this is right up my alley - love 'unchallenges'!

2. Awe man - With summer in full swing I was going to sit out July's, but can't resist a chance to lessen my load of soap shavings!

Oh wow. That third to last one is really cool. I’m guessing they tossed the scraps in some mica.

2. Awe man - With summer in full swing I was going to sit out July's, but can't resist a chance to lessen my load of soap shavings!
3. Phoenix - I have just the design in mind!

Last edited:

4. Tara_H - Confettipalooza!

2. KimW -awe man - With summer in full swing I was going to sit out July's, but can't resist a chance to lessen my load of soap shavings!

2. KimW -awe man - With summer in full swing I was going to sit out July's, but can't resist a chance to lessen my load of soap shavings!
5. Mrs. Z - I have a little confetti waiting for me too!

Correcting signup list as Kim W. is still not showing up as added.

5. Kim W.
6. Mrs. Z - I have a little confetti waiting for me too!

We are being too helpful. KimW is the second name on the list. I didn’t look carefully enough. My bad.

6. peachymoon - I recently got a bevler/planer and have been saving shavings for confetti. Perfect!

6. peachymoon - I recently got a bevler/planer and have been saving shavings for confetti. Perfect
7. The_Emerald_Chicken - Mine's already on the heating pad 😁

6. peachymoon - I recently got a bevler/planer and have been saving shavings for confetti. Perfect
7. The_Emerald_Chicken - Mine's already on the heating pad 😁
8. Misschief - it's time I used up some of my odds and ends

Back