July 2019 SMF Challenge - Landscape/NOT Seascape Design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the July 2019 SMF Soap Challenge – Landscape-NOT Seascape Design. If you choose to participate, you will be creating at least one soap featuring a landscape design. I'm posting this a day early because I will not have time tomorrow to get it all together until (possibly late) tomorrow night.

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules - scroll down to see the challenge specific rules)

SMF Challenge General Rules

1. To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this).

2. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign-up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

3. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be sent by private message (conversation) to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's (conversations) when the voting begins.

4. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non-entry photos are very welcome and may be posted in this thread.

5. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So, if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

6. Please add your name to the sign-up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced). ___________________________________________________________________

The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts, where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.

Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.

Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.

The Entry thread will open on July 20, 2019 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter).

The Entry thread will close on July 26, 2019 at 11:59 pm CST and the winning entry will be chosen using Survey Monkey. The voting survey will remain open until July 29 at 11:59 CST and the winner announced on July 30, 2019. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We would love to see anything you have produced.

Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.

All the challenge mods reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The July 2019 SMF Challenge is Landscape-NOT Seascape designs.

Rules for this month’s challenge:

1. Create a soap featuring a landscape design.

2. You may include a water element in your design, but NO beach, ocean or seascape designs. We’ll save those designs for a separate challenge possibility. For example, you may include a pond or stream in your design, but not a beach scene, sandy shoreline, waves, seashells or other ocean themed designs.

3. You may use any technique, any mold style and soap making method (CP, HP, M&P) you wish to create your soap.

4. The landscape design must be made entirely of soap. You may use embeds within the soap to create your design, but painting a design with mica (or any other colorant) or stamping a design on the finished soap bar(s) is not allowed. The top can be decorated/embellished in any way.

Below are photos and links for examples and a couple of inspiration photos. A search on YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram will turn up many, many more.

The soap I made - a landscape design has been on my 'try this' list for a very long time. This was my first stab at it. It's okay for a first attempt, but I spent hours rolling those little soap dough 'wild flowers' so I'm posting it!
Landscape.jpg

Videos:
Landscape soap by Camille Habawel

Landscape using the intaglio carving method by Kapia Mera

By Ann Marie Faiola (aka Soap Queen)

An abstract landscape design by Artrose Design Lab
Artrose Design Lab abstract.JPG

By Barefoot Gypsy (I'm still obsessed with this one)
birch trees.JPG

By MagiDo
Maggi_Do landscape.JPG

Sculpted Layers technique by Soap City
Soap City Sculpted Layers.JPG

A couple of inspiration photos:
desert.JPG landscape w water inspiration.JPG landscape rocks and night sky inspiration.JPG

I hope this is enough to get your creativity flowing! Have fun!

Yay, dibbles! I've wanted to try this again. My previous attempts left something to be desired, but I just have never come back to it.

So.

1. earlene - if I can get it made in the next few days!

2. steffamarie - super excited!! this is a very inspiring challenge.

3. amd - tackling my pine tree nemesis

4. MarnieSoapien - takes a deep breath and steps forward

5. jcandleattic - this is a soap that has been on my list for over 5 years!! Maybe now I'll get it done!

5. jcandleattic - this is a soap that has been on my list for over 5 years!! Maybe now I'll get it done!
6. szaza - not sure if I'll have time but landscape soaps have been on my list since I started soaping, so it's about time I give it a try!

6. szaza - not sure if I'll have time but landscape soaps have been on my list since I started soaping, so it's about time I give it a try!
7, msunnerstood - Because I am a glutton for punishment.

Well, I have not had time to make soap since I signed up and I leave on my roadtrip day after tomorrow. BUT I did come up with a plan. I believe during my soap making lesson with my granddaughter prior to the soap seminar we are going to, I can make one small batch. I definitely won't be making soap in Hawaii, but if I add an Intaglio component to it, I suppose I could bring along a couple of bars and a couple of carving tools and work on them now and again.

Well, I have not had time to make soap since I signed up and I leave on my roadtrip day after tomorrow. BUT I did come up with a plan. I believe during my soap making lesson with my granddaughter prior to the soap seminar we are going to, I can make one small batch. I definitely won't be making soap in Hawaii, but if I add an Intaglio component to it, I suppose I could bring along a couple of bars and a couple of carving tools and work on them now and again.
That's dedication!

8. KristaY - I was in Sedona last week with inspiration everywhere. Hmmmm....

9. Mobjack Bay - stepping up to the mold and the challenge...

10. Amy78130- Let's do this!

Tonight was my only open window of time this month to give a landscape soap a go. I spent an hour sketching it out while looking at my inspiration photo, deciding on color blends, scent, etc, then prepping everything. In my head (and on paper) it looked good. This is one of those times the idea in my head did not translate to the soap batter. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a train wreck! Geez.... I had soap batter everywhere, used just about every spatula I own plus a dozen or so dixie cups. The clean up was loads of fun:mad: Sigh.... At least it smells good.....

10. Amy78130- Let's do this!
11. Primrose - I have an idea, but time is limited

Latest posts

Back