Jojoba makes good soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsi

Reaction score
I have been making jojoba based soaps for years. It is one of my favourite soaping "oils" (ok, its technically a wax ... )
The place I have found it works the best is for people who experience skin tightness - as far as I can work out, the chain is long enough it doesn't penetrate enough to get in to irritate.
Jojoba has the added benefit - it does not tend to go rancid easily.

It is making me very happy to see people posting about Jojoba soap :thumbs:

Jojoba in a soap recipe makes good soap!

Seriously, said TNSJ is more a proof-of-concept than anything else, and my merits about it are that I made some and remembered testing it after some time, no more. 85% jojoba are just insane, and not worth it IMHO. But I can well imagine that smaller percentages, within an overall balanced recipe (particularly combined with hard oils) might be quite lovely! Or HP post-cook superfat etc…

Seriously, said TNSJ is more a proof-of-concept than anything else, and my merits about it are that I made some and remembered testing it after some time, no more. 85% jojoba are just insane, and not worth it IMHO. But I can well imagine that smaller percentages, within an overall balanced recipe (particularly combined with hard oils) might be quite lovely! Or HP post-cook superfat etc…
I'm so glad you said that - 85% would be economically unviable o_O

I would say that jojoba does not seem to need to be added post cook to be noticeable (it seems to saponify after the shorter chain fats/I can feel the residue on my skin post wash)

like most waxes in soap, as little as 2-5% makes a difference to the final feel

Last edited:
I've been using jojoba oil/wax as a moisturizer for years! I now mix it equal parts with Argan oil for the perfect all-purpose moisturizer for skin and hair. A little bit goes a VERY long way. I make it for my mother who has problems with eczema and she is absolutely in love with it and uses it all the time. I now use that as a cuticle oil, but before, I was making a cuticle oil with 4:1 parts jojoba oil and vitamin E oil.

BTW, I buy my jojoba and argan oil from Candora Soaps (Argan Oil Candora Soap). I buy it by the litre. Currently, it works out to be $1/10mL for the Argan oil and $0.50/10mL for the jojoba. I consider that a good deal, specially when you look at the retail prices for a 30mL or 60 mL bottle at the local "health food" store.

You guys! I don't need another thing to try right now! LOL

I just started using soap on my face (and my face loves it! Go figure after all I've been told not to do this or that. My face doesn't even like the gentlest of syndets apparently)....and I feel like adding jojoba to the recipe might be a good decision.

Edit: you all think I should make a Jojoba and emu oil soap? ...because this is what I'm planning to do and you can't talk me out of it now! ;) 😂...I will do a separate thread on updates (it's going to need a loooong cure though). I have the recipe all set up but I'm scared to calculate my COG with 30% emu and 15% jojoba....also two butters and neem. Why do I do this to myself?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back