Job Advice needed....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaJ99

Reaction score
Okay so I was unemployed from Jan 2012- Aug 2012. As soon as I started my new job I was contacted by at least 6 previous job applications that I had put out some of which I had interviewed for. I turned them down since they were not my dream job, nor was the pay any better. Not to mention the fact that I need to respect my current employer. Tomorrow will be week 4 in my new job, I will receive my first paycheck on 09/28 woohoo! Anyway my dream job has become available locally, this type of job is the reason I went back to school. I never thought this job would be available on a local level(our family was under the impression that we would have to move for me to actually do the dream job, lol). Well now this job is being offered on the local level. Due to contacts at this agency I'm pretty positive that I can at least get an interview. Here's my question at what point do I say anything to my current employer if I'm able to work out my interview around my current work schedule. Obviously if I need to get time to attend the interview then we have to have the discussion, but what do I say? This company is awesome to give me this job, I did indicate in my job interview with my current employer that I would still look for a job that used my degree at some point in the future but never imagined it would be one month after I worked there. Dream job may not even happen since this is a new position if anyone applies who has or is doing this specific job elsewhere they will get the position. In that case I definitely need my current job, ugh it feels like a very delicate situation. Any advice would be great Im just trying to figure all this out and do what's best for my career goals but also be respectful of everyone involved. Thanks for any intel!

This is a difficult decision. I respect your desire to be honest with your current employer. How comfortable are you with discussing the situation with your boss? This is just my opinion but I think you should say something first to your current employer about trying to get an interview. This would be more respectful and upfront. I just think getting the interview first and then saying something to your boss gives the appearance of deviousness. I wouldn't be able to trust an employee who didn't inform me of an interview before setting it up. I'd be wondering if the person was still job hunting if she didn't get the job and stayed in the current job. If your boss is a decent person, she or he should accept your decision to try to get a job for which you went to school. The boss may not be happy but hopefully will respect your decision and appreciate being told beforehand.

BTW, I'm not expressing my opinion without real world experience. I was in management for almost 10 years and I appreciated being kept informed. :wink:

That's exactly what I was feeling, I would want someone to be honest with me. I know that if I don't at least try for this job I will regret it for the rest of my life. For me this is "the job" lol. The fact that I was contacted by someone at this agency for this job is amazing, I just can't pass it up. I think if I talk with my boss Monday or Tuesday just to let him know what was happening at least. My goal is to always put positive intentions out in the universe but also be realistic. My chances of remaining in my current job are very high, but my chance at this dream job is 0% if I at least don't try. Anyway I kinda figured honesty is always the best policy. One thing I've got going for me is the emails and phone from other employers that I have turned down in the last month since starting this job, that at least shows loyalty and hopefully will indicate the dream job part of all of this. I am not actively looking this just fell into my lap.
Thanks so much for your advice I appreciate it greatly.

Back