Jingle Bells

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joy of Christmas at cashiers of a super market?

I thought I would see more human feelings, more on giving love and help to each other concepts, and not to just have a rhythm break from the "Work Buy Consume Die" way of life that capitalism has trapped us in.

Anyway, happy soaping Xmas to everyone! :thumbup:

Sorry you missed the human feelings of the shoppers. To me the Jingle Bells from the cashiers came at the right time when shoppers must have felt frustrated, standing in line. I saw at least two shoppers with arms around each other, sharing the moment. After all, that's what life is about, capturing the moments.

And let us not forget that those cashiers are human, too! They probably enjoyed practicing that. (probably after hours, and off the clock) They got to have a little fun during a season that is unending toil. And dealing with grumpy customers all day is no fun, either, I assure you. A few minutes of fun and levity during this season is NOT uncalled for. I am sorry you saw more capitalism, but I saw folks having fun.

That was fun, thanks for sharing. With all of the scary things going on in the world, it's nice to see something that brings a smile. :grin:

Thanks, lsg. Nice one! Everyone has to buy groceries ... for that is what it was, a grocery store ... even during the holiday season!

I know too well what it is like to be a retail worker during the holiday shopping season, since my small business is heavily seasonal. (I make over 80% of my yearly retail income in about 1 month.) It is hard to keep the "reason for the season" in the forefront of my mind when working long days and dealing with sometimes cranky customers. I appreciate things like this video that shake me out of my tired funk and remind me to smile, to take a calming breath, and to be thankful.

I loved it. It's great to see the spirit of Chritmas at work (double entendre intended!).

Good morning to everyone and thank you for your posts that express your opinion upon my trigger post.

I have been on cashier's place once as I have worked for a few years in a big supermarket (grocery & cheese section) and I know how it is to work in Xmas and Easter seasons and especially with grumpy and offensive customers. Working many more hours than normal, the staff management didn't want to hire more seasonal personnel mainly for profit reasons, so we had to take all the extra hard work because of the season's demand.

I remember myself by these holidays that I had no desire or the mental strength to be able to celebrate with people I love in the few free days/hours after work.

And although I don't know the working environment of this large supermarket corporation, with their advert I put my place on the cashier's place, and I felt a tad humiliated that I had to also play music, along with the heavy work that the season is bringing in order to cheer up (grumpy) customers, while my friends and family will somehow celebrate already.

I'm more on with the "work to live" than "live to work" side. I hope that I didn't offend anyone with my posts.

Nikos :)http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
Good morning to everyone and thank you for your posts that express your opinion upon my trigger post.

I have been on cashier's place once as I have worked for a few years in a big supermarket (grocery & cheese section) and I know how it is to work in Xmas and Easter seasons and especially with grumpy and offensive customers. Working many more hours than normal, the staff management didn't want to hire more seasonal personnel mainly for profit reasons, so we had to take all the extra hard work because of the season's demand.

I remember myself by these holidays that I had no desire or the mental strength to be able to celebrate with people I love in the few free days/hours after work.

And although I don't know the working environment of this large supermarket corporation, with their advert I put my place on the cashier's place, and I felt a tad humiliated that I had to also play music, along with the heavy work that the season is bringing in order to cheer up (grumpy) customers, while my friends and family will somehow celebrate already.

I'm more on with the "work to live" than "live to work" side. I hope that I didn't offend anyone with my posts.

I know what you mean. I've had similar experiences.

You really didn't offend me. We all have different views on life. Its what makes life interesting! Our experiences in life often affect our outlook. being overworked and under-appreciated by my boss, would affect my outlook on that video too. Hopefully you had the occasional positive and cheerful customer to balance out the negative ones, even if it is the grumpy ones that we tend to remember most!

Back