Jewel Weed Soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Pcbrewer

Reaction score
I have read many articles about making Jewel Weed soap. Every one of them start by saying take a bunch of the weed and make a tea by cooking it until it turns dark. I have a bunch of Jewel Weed growing on my property. I was wondering if instead of making a tea, using it straight by crushing the weed and extracting only the juice and using it full strength instead of watering it down. Is there a reason I have not seen recipes using it full strength?

Obsidian

Reaction score
Its easier to make tea and for people who have to order the dried herb, its cheaper. If you have a abundant supply, give juicing a try and see how it goes. You'll probably need a lot of the plant and a juice maker would make it so much easier.

reinbeau

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was also going to juice it and try it. I need to say, dried jewelweed isn't effective against poison ivy. You need to use it fresh. I wonder how much benefit actually comes through in soap. The folk remedy is to take a handful of the stems, crush them right onto the exposed area. I have tons of it in my yard.

Pcbrewer

Reaction score
Reinbeau, I agree with you on how effective it would be in the soap. I have used it fresh and it works great. I will give it a try and see how it comes out.

pamielynn

Reaction score
I believe, also, that you need the fresh weed. I have so many people here ask me about jewel weed soap and I keep telling them that it's the handmade soap itself that's helping, not the addition of any weeds. If it's a treatment for poison ivy/oak they seek, they need to rub fresh leaves on themselves. Putting the plant/juice in a handmade soap isn't going to do much, IMO. It's just label appeal.

Latest posts