Jewel Weed (Poison Ivy Soap)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of confusion about jewelweed.

The sap of the North American jewelweed (also called Wild Celandine and other names) is the folk remedy for treating poison ivy dermatitis. This plant is Impatiens pallida (yellow jewelweed) or I. capensis (spotted jewelweed).

I have yet to see this herb being sold on the market in dried or extract form. Dried jewelweed loses its efficacy -- it's the wet sap that works. Oil infusions don't work well either -- too much jewelweed sap in oil just makes a moldy mess.

Most people who know how to effectively use jewelweed make a tincture of jewelweed mixed with water or witch hazel and they refrigerate the tincture. Or they freeze chopped up bits of the plant into ice cubes and rub the ice cubes on affected skin.

I question whether using jewelweed sap or adding jewelweed sap to soap works better than using regular ol' lye-based soap.

Jewelweed sap contains saponins, soapy chemicals useful for emulsifying oils. Plants with saponins can be used for cleansing the skin and hair. For that reason, jewelweed sap would be a good choice to remove the poison ivy oils if lye-based soap isn't available.

But if soap is available, I'd use it instead. I don't think there's any particular magic about using the sap; it's getting the poison ivy oils off the skin that's the key.

There are other "jewelweed" plants that people sometimes mistakenly use in soap instead of I. pallida or I. capensis --

Impatiens balsamica, a plant native to Asia. It has a history of use in folk medicine, but not for poison ivy. Impatiens balsamina - Wikipedia
Greater Celandine, Chelidonium majus. It is sourced from Hungary and native to Europe. It is a member of the Papaveraceae (poppy) family. According to the references I found, it is poisonous if ingested, and it can be irritating to the eyes and skin, although it was used traditionally to remove warts. Chelidonium - Wikipedia

I collected some wild jewelweed seeds in a park and planted them in my native-plant garden about five or six years ago. The first year it grew where i'd put it, but the plants never got very big. The next year, a few came up but they obviously weren't happy where I put them. Every successive year a few more came up, moving progressively towards the rain garden...last year they were EVERYWHERE. Big juicy plants, some with stems thicker than my thumb. I'm afraid this year they are going to attempt a takeover of the back yard. The flowers are very pretty, like little orchids.

Jewelweed sap contains saponins, soapy chemicals useful for emulsifying oils. Plants with saponins can be used for cleansing the skin and hair. For that reason, jewelweed sap would be a good choice to remove the poison ivy oils if lye-based soap isn't available.

But if soap is available, I'd use it instead. I don't think there's any particular magic about using the sap; it's getting the poison ivy oils off the skin that's the key.
Could jewelweed sap or tincture be used as an additive in a CP soap batch to improve any soap property like lather or conditioning?

Could jewelweed sap or tincture be used as an additive in a CP soap batch to improve any soap property like lather or conditioning?
I don't know, I'm afraid. I've not heard anyone mention they use jewelweed for boosting lather or mildness, and I haven't tested this myself.

Yellow Jewelweed is in full bloom here in northeast Iowa, USA. It makes beautiful mounds of lush green leaves studded with small yellow blooms. It grows along the edges of forests and streams. I sometimes see small patches of the orange bloomed variety, but it's not nearly as common here as the yellow type.

Here, in central VT, jewelweed is prolific and happy... such beautiful flowers. I also produced a tincture from the plant. I may try a bit of the tincture in a future test soap batch.

Attachments

• 20210903_182416.jpg
    20210903_182416.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210924_221314.jpg
    20210924_221314.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 0

The sap of the North American jewelweed (also called Wild Celandine and other names) is the folk remedy for treating poison ivy dermatitis. This plant is Impatiens pallida (yellow jewelweed) or I. capensis (spotted jewelweed).

I have yet to see this herb being sold on the market in dried or extract form. Dried jewelweed loses its efficacy -- it's the wet sap that works. Oil infusions don't work well either -- too much jewelweed sap in oil just makes a moldy mess.

Most people who know how to effectively use jewelweed make a tincture of jewelweed mixed with water or witch hazel and they refrigerate the tincture. Or they freeze chopped up bits of the plant into ice cubes and rub the ice cubes on affected skin.

I question whether using jewelweed sap or adding jewelweed sap to soap works better than using regular ol' lye-based soap.

There are other "jewelweed" plants that people sometimes mistakenly use in soap instead of I. pallida or I. capensis --

Impatiens balsamica, a plant native to Asia. It has a history of use in folk medicine, but not for poison ivy. Impatiens balsamina - Wikipedia
Greater Celandine, Chelidonium majus. It is sourced from Hungary and native to Europe. It is a member of the Papaveraceae (poppy) family. According to the references I found, it is poisonous if ingested, and it can be irritating to the eyes and skin, although it was used traditionally to remove warts. Chelidonium - Wikipedia
I use dried jewelweed in oil infusions regularly and it makes a fine poison ivy salve.
I also use the oil in soap and it’s beautiful

I have significant amounts of jewelweed on the property as it is native to my northeast home. I also own a native plant farm and use quite a few herbs in my botanical business.
Jewelweed loves shady wet areas like creeks and is a tremendous pollinator plant. Bumblebees love it and the blooms are just the right size for their bodies.
You can crush the leaves and use it on poison ivy (something we have in abundance here) but it also makes a beautiful salve and soap.
We had a severe drought this summer so much of my jewelweed didn’t grow but I was able to find some dried jewelweed on Etsy.

I have significant amounts of jewelweed on the property as it is native to my northeast home. I also own a native plant farm and use quite a few herbs in my botanical business.
Jewelweed loves shady wet areas like creeks and is a tremendous pollinator plant. Bumblebees love it and the blooms are just the right size for their bodies.
You can crush the leaves and use it on poison ivy (something we have in abundance here) but it also makes a beautiful salve and soap.
We had a severe drought this summer so much of my jewelweed didn’t grow but I was able to find some dried jewelweed on Etsy.
Thanks for letting me know you've tried it in salves and soaps. I'm encouraged.

I'm in central VT. Yes, I noticed the drought curtailed a lot of the wild plants I was looking forward to seeing this year. But I have the perfect little backyard for jewelweed. I live near a creek and have lots of trees, so jewelweed, while not quite as big as last year's batch, was still pretty happy to grow this year. It even popped up in some new places.

Last year, I froze some and tinctured a lot of it. I'm hoping the saponins can survive the alcohol. I plan to let the alcohol evaporate and add the remains to a test soap batch.

Back