Jelly Soap

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

CreativeWeirdo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've decided to have some fun and expand into Jelly soaps and have purchased a jelly soap MP base. Does anyone have experience with jelly soap base? Any thoughts on size/thickness? Videos I've seen, people really just use them for the novelty and fun of it and have left the soaps relatively thin; compared to a normal bar of soap. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
CW

cerelife

Reaction score
I've purchased and used the L$SH jelly soaps and thought that they were fun, so I made my own a few years ago.
I purchased this base as it was highly recommended from a member of this forum whom I trust. @cmzaha maybe? I can't remember.
This is a great Jelly soap base and I think the issues I had with it were my own and not the fault of the base! It was quite the learning curve for me to get it melted and poured well!!
I used 4 oz deli cups with lids for these soaps to mimic the shape of the jelly soaps I'd used in the past. I added mica that matched the fragrance and they were gorgeous! The mica is so pretty in this base - it looks like glittering galaxies suspended in this medium. The finished product popped out of the cups easily and fit well in the hand. The base holds its shape in the shower very well. BUT...it is slippery and kind of hard to hold onto while bathing.
Like you said, Jelly soaps are a novelty. They didn't sell well for me at all, so after I finished the pails of base that I had purchased I was done with them. They just weren't worth the time it took to get them right for me personally.
I wish you better luck!

cerelife

Reaction score
I initially attempted to melt the base in the microwave in short bursts and stir in between the heating. This created too many bubbles!
So then I tried melting it in a double boiler. Too low of a temp and I got a thick 'skin' on the top / too high and I got bubbles. Too little stirring I got the 'skin' / too much stirring I got bubbles. It was really frustrating!!
What finally worked for me was to heat in a double boiler at low/med and slowly/gently stir pretty much constantly until it was fully melted. While it was still on the stove I added the mica and fragrance and continued to stir until mixed in well. Then I poured the base into the cups, but I had to do it quickly since the base sets up really fast and gets chunky. I ended up having to work in smaller batches than I had intended to avoid this problem.
The finished soaps were gorgeous and very fun, but not so fun to make!
Honestly, even if these had been great sellers for me I probably wouldn't make them very often just because of the time and aggravation involved in their creation!
Hopefully someone will chime in with better tips and more advice :)