January SMF Challenge -Hidden Heart Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words!

Normally I can edit the main thread but it seems that functionality is gone? I really want to update the main rules location with the clarifications to reduce confusion. I think I need to contact the mods on this one.

So, I made my try... Let’s just say I was over ambitious... I hope the soap qualifies and will indeed be a hidden heart soap and not just a soap with blops and as I won’t get time for other try, it’s going to be my entry and everyone will get to see it too.. yay!

First try done and cut. It was eerie to do that one bold swipe through the batter, not knowing what, if anything, my chopstick was doing to the colors. I have to confess it was sooo tempting to swoop and swirl some more, but I stomped on that notion and stopped at just the one swipe.

Yep, I got hearts. <whew!>

First try done and cut. It was eerie to do that one bold swipe through the batter, not knowing what, if anything, my chopstick was doing to the colors. I have to confess it was sooo tempting to swoop and swirl some more, but I stomped on that notion and stopped at just the one swipe.

Yep, I got hearts. <whew!>

Yea, it kind of was. Mine was thick enough by the time I remembered about doing the design that it left tracks that I had to bang the mold on the counter to get closed. Eep. Hope I didn't leave any gaping holes in my soap. I hope I get hearts...

I'm still debating which mold to use. I hope I am allowed to do more than just a single swipe through the mold?? If not, I've got to rethink my design.

As I understand it, it's one swipe through each of your columns of color inside the body of the soap. I did short swipes on mine, one per column, aiming to go through the middle of each one.

I truly don't think there is any special limit on the number of swipes. I'm afraid I've got a serious case of tunnel vision about how to make this design because I'm trying to not get distracted and screw up. ;) Please don't take anything I say as The Way to make the heart pattern, cuz it's not.

I can't think of how I'd make a heart other than making one swipe through the center of each column of soap that's supposed to be the heart. My design had just one heart to make, so I did just one swipe. But maybe there's a way to create a heart design with more than one swipe, and I'm just not seeing it. And that's okay -- I'm sure there are many ways to do this design and get great results. My way is just one way.

I don't mean to mislead anyone -- I was describing my particular design method and didn't think that others might approach it differently.

Unless the cut is just spectacular, I'm thinking I'm going to wind up making another run at this one. My loaf is out of the mold. Partial gel is clearly evident, it didn't quite gel all the way to the ends. Not going to try to CPOP after the fact, since I don't expect this batch to be my entry, and even partially gelled it'll still be fine as soap after it cures. I have people who'll be more than happy to take a bar or two off my hands no matter how it winds up looking.

I used some puppy paw molds for some of my extra batter, and those came out looking cute as heck. Though my blue wound up being green because of my fragrance. I've also got mustaches and a shell, but those are still too soft to take out of their molds. The paws were inside the insulated box with my loaf, but there wasn't room for the others. I think the extra warmth is why I was able to take them out of the mold already.

Well that was a total and utter failure. In 15 seconds flat my batter went from liquid to play-doh. Didn't even have time to mix in a colour. :( I don't know if it was the vinegar, 20% butters or FO but I am so disappointed! I'll have to try again with a basic Castile or something.

I'm still debating which mold to use. I hope I am allowed to do more than just a single swipe through the mold?? If not, I've got to rethink my design.

If you are planning to do multiple hearts in the same soap, you are welcome to do multiple swipes. I had envisioned doing lots of little hearts and pulling the chopstick through all of them as an idea for this challenge!

You should have one swipe per concentric circle though. Otherwise you would get another shape other than a heart.

Lots of people posting about attempts today. I’m proud of all of the experimenting! Can’t wait to see the cuts!

Yep, this is a do-over. I got ONE decent looking heart. Looks like I completely missed a couple of the columns.

20180109_184638-1775.jpg

I cut mine today...well, there is indeed a heart and I am glad for that.. though the other 2 columns ended up looking like a peach and a human heart, the middle one looked good and I am happy with it.. after pouring a layer of surrounding batter, I realised that I didn’t add FO and added it then which let to thick trace and slight change in colour due to vanillin in it.. 4 colours it is! It will be entry and yes, I will add peaches and human heart too.. ;)

My 1st attempt was failure though the colors were great. It came out as autumn leaves rather then the heart..

I tried it exactly like the video posted by galaxy.. I think my batter thickened while I poured the colours.
So I made a second attempt.. N the hearts came out beautifully but the colours look a little dull.. The base color looked dark enough to contrast the heart while mixing.. It lightened before the cut. I'm hoping the colours turns dark again over periods of time

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.
5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!
7. Penelopejane - this is way outside my comfort zone. I'll try.
8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
10. Soapprentice - Let’s figure this out!
11. Primrose - yep I'm in.
12. jewels621 - I'll give a (s)whirl.
13. toxikon - Sounds interesting!
14. SoapAddict415
15. amd - maybe this will scare away the soap gremlins!
16. DeeAnna - I've been puzzling on this all afternoon and still don't quite have a plan. Oh, well, here goes nuthin'
17. neonstudy - First challenge woo hoo
18. SunRiseArts ��
19. Mommycarlson - Fine, you talked me into it!
20. Scard- Time to get my feet wet?!

Well that was a total and utter failure. In 15 seconds flat my batter went from liquid to play-doh. Didn't even have time to mix in a colour. :( I don't know if it was the vinegar, 20% butters or FO but I am so disappointed! I'll have to try again with a basic Castile or something.

My 1st attempt was failure though the colors were great. It came out as autumn leaves rather then the heart..

I tried it exactly like the video posted by galaxy.. I think my batter thickened while I poured the colours.
So I made a second attempt.. N the hearts came out beautifully but the colours look a little dull.. The base color looked dark enough to contrast the heart while mixing.. It lightened before the cut. I'm hoping the colours turns dark again over periods of time

C'mon! Pics! I can't be the only one to put up pics of my fails!

I'll post a fail tonight! :) My first attempt was very blobby, the "heart" section was too large. I made a second attempt, and made smaller blobs, so had 2 "hearts" in each soap. I'm thinking that might be my entry, but it's not very impressive.

C'mon! Pics! I can't be the only one to put up pics of my fails!

I'll post mine in the Soap Fail thread tonight. I didn't even have time to ATTEMPT a hidden heart swirl, let alone add a colour, so it's probably not relevant in this one.

BUT - silver lining - I did manage to mush some of my activated charcoal into the loaf and it came out in a cool marble effect!

Back