January SMF Challenge -Hidden Heart Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with 1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.
5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!
7. Penelopejane - this is way outside my comfort zone. I'll try.
8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
10. Soapprentice - Let’s figure this out!
11. Primrose - yep I'm in.
12. jewels621 - I'll give a (s)whirl.
13. toxikon - Sounds interesting!

For my own reference, I made a cutting guide to wrap my brain around the cutting technique.

- This diagram shows a skinny mold (since that's what I have lol).
- You'd start with the pink cuts, then do the blue cuts.

Does this look about right?

JKNv5Ke.jpg

toxikon, I think if you start with the pink cut lines, you would then want to cut the bars in half the other way. So, rather than each of the bars as pictured would be cut top to bottom rather than front to back. It would be cut like a Taiwan or mantra swirl. I haven't had very much coffee yet, so I don't know if I'm explaining it right.

The blue line is the horizontal cut, so I think you've got it right if you follow how the tutorial video shows this being done. You lay out the concentric circles on the first surface, which is about where the blue line is, therefore cutting along the center of the heart (after the heart is swirled into the circles of course), then you end up with the hidden hearts showing.

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with 1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!
8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
14. SoapAddict415

For my own reference, I made a cutting guide to wrap my brain around the cutting technique.

- This diagram shows a skinny mold (since that's what I have lol).
- You'd start with the pink cuts, then do the blue cuts.

Does this look about right?

JKNv5Ke.jpg

I hope I've followed this, please correct me if I've misunderstood:

So the hidden circles that get swirled into hearts are face up in the centre of the loaf, and the horizontal (blue line) cut reveals them?

Hidden heart swirls.png

Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
2. dibbles - <3 this!
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
14. SoapAddict415
15. amd - maybe this will scare away the soap gremlins!

I just bought some lye so I could try tonight. Tuesdays & Fridays are supposed to be my "home alone" days but DH decided that he wanted to give me "quality time". I usually don't mind but I really had my heart set on having the apartment to myself to make soap in peace. Does that make me selfish?

Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
14. SoapAddict415
15. amd - maybe this will scare away the soap gremlins!
16. DeeAnna - I've been puzzling on this all afternoon and still don't quite have a plan. Oh, well, here goes nuthin'

I just bought some lye so I could try tonight. Tuesdays & Fridays are supposed to be my "home alone" days but DH decided that he wanted to give me "quality time". I usually don't mind but I really had my heart set on having the apartment to myself to make soap in peace. Does that make me selfish?

Absolutely not! Soaping time is relaxing time! And sometimes it’s nice to be alone to focus.

So to be clear, one side of the cut bar of soap should be plain and the other side should have a heart. Right?

The cut is exactly like the lotus swirl I believe

No it doesn't, not in my book anyway!!!!

No way! I think it's very healthy that you enjoy your time alone and don't have a need for anyone else to entertain you. It is, in no way, a reflection of how much you love your husband. Finding your zen in making soap makes you a better wife!

Back