January SMF Challenge -Hidden Heart Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, first attempt was a bust, I think the soap was too fluid and my "hearts" became thin swirls of no real shape.

I will try again this weekend, I have a trick planned that may work out.

Not that I need anything else to do, or any more soap....

Here is my first failed attempt. Not quite sure what it reminds me of. Tadpole?

IMG_0304 (2)_640x480.JPG

Better than my first attempt! I'll post some pics tomorrow, was busy insulating in the garage tonight.

Wow Isha! Love those colors! I did beat down the bad vibes in my head and made my soap last night. I will have to wait until tonight to cut it. I used sunflower to help slow down my trace and that seems to make a softer bar too. Here's my in the mold pic lol.IMG_20180110_232750_062.jpg

Thanks amd.. I also loved ghe colours.. Disappointed it didn't turn out to be a heart..
Made another but the colours r dull...

1. Kittish
2. dibbles - <3 this!
3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!
4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.
5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....
6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!
7. Penelopejane - this is way outside my comfort zone. I'll try.
8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time
9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.
10. Soapprentice - Let’s figure this out!
11. Primrose - yep I'm in.
12. jewels621 - I'll give a (s)whirl.
13. toxikon - Sounds interesting!
14. SoapAddict415
15. amd - maybe this will scare away the soap gremlins!
16. DeeAnna - I've been puzzling on this all afternoon and still don't quite have a plan. Oh, well, here goes nuthin'
17. neonstudy - First challenge woo hoo
18. SunRiseArts ��
19. Mommycarlson - Fine, you talked me into it!
20. Scard- Time to get my feet wet?!
21. Traumabrew

I finally made my first attempt. It's in the oven now for CPOP. My guess is it may not come out as planned because I used the SB just a tad more than necessary and by the time I started pouring the concentric circles, it had thickened more than desired. We shall see tomorrow when I cut the bars.

I think I screwed up my entry... I cut my loaf in sections and then I cut one section into bars. I cut it correctly, that's not the problem. The problem is that I majorly suck at hand cutting, so my first section has horridly wonky bars. So I decided to use my multi bar cutter (I don't have a single bar, unfortunately...) which cut the bars perfectly but also sliced an end cut from the "top" and "bottom" side of each bar, so my heart is no longer "hidden". Still a good entry, or not?

My first attempt rejects are pictured below. It was a dual lye, 33% concentration soap with vinegar. I cut it about 5 hours after putting into mold, and it's not at all cleaned up. As I said before, I overdid it with the swirl because I couldn't resist the urge to do more than the one swipe through the 4 concentric circles. Still I did actually get one heart as planned. The rest looks not at all like hearts, but one is a lovely budding flower, somewhat reminiscent of a fuschia or a Pitcher Plant flower.

482gVJA.jpg

EzqLlYS.jpg

do7Ngsw.jpg

Oh, it's HARD to not swipe more than once! Nice color combination, Earlene -- good eye.

Earlene, you just switched a lightbulb on for me. I was looking for the whole pour to be heart shaped (all the rings). Thanks to your example, I understand that the heart appears within the circle. Doh! I'll have to go look at what I've made with new eyes, although I'm pretty sure there isn't a heart to be found.

Pretty soap - nice colors! Thanks for posting.

I'm set up to make my second attempt, I should be able to get it mixed up and in the mold this afternoon. I had a sort of minor epiphany about how this technique should work (or else I'm just slow on the uptake and finally got it). For the column of color for the hidden heart- the goal is NOT to layer colors all the way up. It's to make nested concentric rings of color, kind of like if you sank a multi colored tree trunk into the soap batter.

I've made one try so far. Try #2 is coming soon after some pink colorant arrives, hopefully on Monday. Anyways, for try #1 I did an in-the-pot swirl. It's not exactly making concentric rings, like you're saying Kittish, but it should create wisps of the colors throughout the "heart" area, so theoretically anywhere I'd cut to reveal the heart, there should be the 2+ colors.

Back