January SMF Challenge -Hidden Heart Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my oops pictures.

First, the pretty blue and white soaps with blobs that were supposed to be hearts but wanted to be blobs instead. The colors in the photo are fairly true to life.

Second, the mystifying morphing muddy mess that had really cute hearts before the color morphed. The colors look better in the photo than in real life, unfortunately. It's interesting how many of these soaps show the heart pattern, but the lower right soap looks more like a ginko leaf. I wonder why that is?

Third, a pic showing the two tubes I used for the main pour (the larger outer tube is in a pitcher just in case it leaks) and the silicone mold for the extra soap batter.

P1030221 700.jpg

P1030222 700.jpg

P1030210 700.jpg

P1030211 700.jpg

Well. I'm sorry to disappoint but there will not be a MP entry for this Challenge. My heart came out looking like a pumpkin. I melted all back down. I won't have time to try again. On the bright side though I have A. learned how to make a Hidden Pumpkin & B. I always have February's Challenge! :)

Been wanting to try it. I had an idea .... How did you do yours? Can you share your process?

now that my entry is finally photographed and posted, i'm going to post pictures of these little bars which were from the smaller strip of soap cut from the slab because even though there aren't any hearts i think they are pretty stinkin' cute.

stunning!

Been wanting to try it. I had an idea .... How did you do yours? Can you share your process?
I took a Tall plastic cup... It's one of those Orange ones From Hooter's. Lol I rubbed the sides down with Olive Oil so it wouldn't stick. I prepared and cut 6 stripes of thin MP to create a soap rim on the outside so I would know where to cut my loaves.

I wrapped one at the bottom. Filled it with the base color, I let it cool. I then put the next soap rim around the inside, made sure it was touching the other. Poured the base color half way up the "rim" then poured my two colors in the middle just enough to reach the top of the "rim."

I then gave it a couple seconds about 30 and I put the chopstick down the middle of the colorful blob... Just once. It looked like a legit heart at that point. I repeated that process until I only had enough space left in the cup for one last "layer." I then did the exact same thing I did with the very first one.

I think what I'm gonna do when I try again (probably Saturday) is get a shorter container and just do the EXACT samething but this time just one single bar with the heart in the middle.

I'm determined to get it right. If you try it how I did don't show me the results or anything until I either give up or atleast get close. Lol Since I'm a newbie I wanna learn from figuring it out myself.

I'm so sorry about my "instructions!!" I really suck at putting together words when trying to go into detail. Hopefully you can understand it & it was around somewhat helpful :D

The entries look great. I’m suddenly very happy that time got away from me and I couldn’t get an entry made

1. Kittish

2. dibbles - <3 this!

3. newbie- I have an eye to doing this a bit differently but still ending up with a heart in the middle. That's okay, I hope!

4. earlene - Hooray! I've been away from the challenges for too long, so am looking forward to this one.

5. BattleGnome - which mold, which mold, which mold....

6. Mx6inpenn - I haven't gotten a challenge submitted on time in ages, so I'm looking to break the streak!

7. Penelopejane - this is way outside my comfort zone. I'll try.

8. Isha- I'm excited will be my 1st entry. I've done one with just 2 colours m will give it a try with 3 colours this time

9. SaltedFig - Hmmmm.

10. Soapprentice - Let’s figure this out!

11. Primrose - yep I'm in.

12. jewels621 - I'll give a (s)whirl.

13. toxikon - Sounds interesting!

14. SoapAddict415

15. amd - maybe this will scare away the soap gremlins!

16. DeeAnna - I've been puzzling on this all afternoon and still don't quite have a plan. Oh, well, here goes nuthin'

17. neonstudy - First challenge woo hoo

18. SunRiseArts ��

19. Mommycarlson - Fine, you talked me into it!

20. Scard- Time to get my feet wet?!

21. Traumabrew

22. Artemis-- oh, alright... I'll play

23. KattChaos

24.cherrycoke216 - hopefully I can cut before deadline…

Sent from my SM-G532G using Soap Making mobile app

View attachment 27243

This is my first attempt, hopefully this attempt at getting photos uploaded works! This was made with the technique in the video. I'm happy with the hearts but unhappy I forgot to mix my TD properly :(

Love the hearts. What's a few little glycerin rivers among friends? It took me a long time to manage to get some. Try as I may, I was not able to do it on purpose. Only recently have I actually been able to see some in one of my soaps. I say, say you meant that to happen.

Now that my entry is finally photographed and posted, I'm going to post pictures of these little bars which were from the smaller strip of soap cut from the slab because even though there aren't any hearts I think they are pretty stinkin' cute.

They are darn cute! I really like the look.

View attachment 27292View attachment 27293
You can see my 3rd color in the second pic. This was fun. I'll definitely try it again one day.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

Those are really nice. Are you sure you can't see even a tinge of a third color. Maybe is you squint your eyes?

So here's the third attempt. Not thrilled with it. I used indigo infused oil for the main color. It's a very meh grey in person and getting even more so. The yellow and orange were very thin when I poured them, so didn't swirl all that well. I like the way they not quite mixed though, looks like fire.

This is scented with coconut pulp co2 extract, though I'm all but certain it didn't survive the lye monster. I'll give it a few weeks and see if the scent comes back, but I'm not really hopeful.

The toilet paper tubes did help keep my columns nice and tidy, and I didn't have too much trouble with them drifting in the mold. They wanted to drift, but were easy to keep pretty much where I wanted them.

20180126_214400-1802.jpg

Can anyone see this comment?!

I've commented a couple times directly to people and I haven't Recieved any comments back about it. I'm thinking that maybe they aren't going threw everything even though I can see them.

Can anyone see this comment?!

I've commented a couple times directly to people and I haven't Recieved any comments back about it. I'm thinking that maybe they aren't going threw everything even though I can see them.

I can see this one. Lots of people only check the forum maybe once a day, too, and there are people all around the world.

I can see this one. Lots of people only check the forum maybe once a day, too, and there are people all around the world.
Oh I know. I meant I didn't think they were showing up. It always tells me that it failed to upload my comment but then it shows up anyways.

Latest posts

Back