January 2023 SMF Challenge – Pick a Color, Any Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s very generous of you to share your method.
And just to add to that, @dibbles thank you so very much. I don’t sell anything, so I forget a lot of people on here do—I hope I didn’t offend, as I promise I wasn’t looking for trade secrets.. lol! I love to learn all of the new techniques and love how this forum has helped stretch my imagination. Thank you, thank you, thank you 🙏!

@dibbles I would love to see your purple batches!
Here they are. Attempts in order from L to R. #1 was poured like my entry, but I didn't think there was enough distribution of each color in the bars. #2 I wanted to do a tall and skinny shimmy because it's been a minute since I've done that. I'm also playing around with lye concentration to avoid ash. A FO that behaves well at 33% accelerated at 40% so I had to take a hanger to it. This made both the shade and tone stay along the sides and I wanted to try again. #3 was another T&S shimmy attempt that stayed fluid but didn't shimmy correctly. This made the tone and hue colors appear to be too similar. So I went with the green 😀
PXL_20230126_182446150.jpg

Last edited:
Here they are. Attempts in order from L to R. #1 was poured like my entry, but I didn't think there was enough distribution of each color in the bars. #2 I wanted to do a tall and skinny shimmy because it's been a minute since I've done that. I'm also playing around with lye concentration to avoid ash. A FO that behaves well at 33% accelerated at 40% so I had to take a hanger to it. This made both the shade and tone stay along the sides and I wanted to try again. #3 was another T&S shimmy attempt that stayed fluid but didn't shimmy correctly. This made the tone and hue colors too similar. So I went with the green 😀
View attachment 70588
Even your “mistakes” are gorgeous. Holy cow!

1. dmcgee5034 - I am HUE-gly excited to try this challenge 🌸
2. McKherring Farm - sounds fun!
3. CreativeWeirdo - So many choices! Don't know how I'm going to decide.
4. Phoenix - Sounds simple enough 😜
5. basti - time to stare at my mica collection until I get dizzy
6. dibbles - I smell math :eek:
7. Mx5inpenn - No shade, I *will* complete this challenge
8. VikingChick - This should be fun!!!
9. Vicki C- I love this… ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍
10. CLMP - Looks and sounds fun!
11. Nicolesica- oh man, I hope I don’t embarrass myself 🫣
12. Anstarx - time to try my new mold
13. melonpan - all set so I should really join before I forget!
14. AliOop - I made the soap so I'm entering. :)

Here they are. Attempts in order from L to R. #1 was poured like my entry, but I didn't think there was enough distribution of each color in the bars. #2 I wanted to do a tall and skinny shimmy because it's been a minute since I've done that. I'm also playing around with lye concentration to avoid ash. A FO that behaves well at 33% accelerated at 40% so I had to take a hanger to it. This made both the shade and tone stay along the sides and I wanted to try again. #3 was another T&S shimmy attempt that stayed fluid but didn't shimmy correctly. This made the tone and hue colors too similar. So I went with the green 😀
View attachment 70588
Wow those are amazing it's hard to decide which one I like better out of those three neet. Oh and I love your green ones too they are all wonderful. This is so fun looking at everyone's soaps. I was busy making soap all day yesterday and had a pile of soap dishes to do today but anyways 😆 lol. I think I like the way you did number three too!

This was my first attempt. I'm not too happy with how the tone and shade turned out.

The M&P "cherry" on top was from another project, but I made them on January 1st, so I figured it still counted. It uses my hue, which is the reason why I chose it; because it was already out and I didn't want to go all the way to the basement just for a mica LOL!

Hue is Lipstick Red Micas from Fizz Fairy and I used the same Satin white and Shimmery black magic.

Tint: 2W:1R
Hue: 2R
Tone: 1W:1.5R:1B
Shade: 1.5R:1B

Icing element is 3W:0.5R

This was my first time doing even layers in my CP soap. I used Karma from Candora because it accelerates.

1674830744438.jpeg

Latest posts

Back