January 2023 SMF Challenge – Pick a Color, Any Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dreamed about this challenge last night. In my dream, we all gathered in person to show our soaps to a good-sized crowd, and we had to produce our color formula, too. I had forgotten to bring a copy of my formula, and was sent backstage to find it on my computer, but I could not.

The contest moderator, a dear friend of mine who doesn’t even soap (but she does buy soap and scrubs from me) had to reluctantly tell me in front of everyone that I was disqualified.

What’s funny is that in real life, I do a lot of presentations for good-sized groups, and I don’t get nervous being in front of crowds or talking on a microphone. So, I’m not sure what THAT was all about. Maybe we have a psychologist here who can assist? 🤣

Last edited:
I dreamed about this challenge last night. In my dream, we all gathered in person to show our soaps to a good-sized crowd, and we had to produce our color formula, too. I had forgotten to bring a copy of my formula, and was sent backstage to find it on my computer, but I could not.

The contest moderator, a dear friend of mine who doesn’t even soap (but she does buy soap and scrubs from me) had to reluctantly tell me in front of everyone that I was disqualified.

What’s funny is that I do a lot of presentations for good-sized groups, and I don’t get nervous being up front or talking on a microphone. So, I’m not sure what THAT was all about. Maybe we have a psychologist here who can assist? 🤣
Well, at least you weren’t naked in front of a crowd. Lol

What’s funny is that I do a lot of presentations for good-sized groups, and I don’t get nervous being up front or talking on a microphone. So, I’m not sure what THAT was all about. Maybe we have a psychologist here who can assist? 🤣
Subconscious guilt trip for not entering this month…

Well, at least you weren’t naked in front of a crowd. Lol
Best for EVERYONE, yes!! 😨 😅

Subconscious guilt trip for not entering this month…
I was thinking it was my math phobia; maybe it was both! I do hope to make soap tonight in a narrow slice of time that is currently open. But I've thought that for the last week and stuff keeps happening. 😆 If I can get some soap made, I promise, I will enter!!

What’s funny is that in real life, I do a lot of presentations for good-sized groups, and I don’t get nervous being in front of crowds or talking on a microphone. So, I’m not sure what THAT was all about. Maybe we have a psychologist here who can assist? 🤣
Oh, my… a soap stress dream… nooooooo…
I STILL have dreams that I’m in college and have missed a whole semester of one class and I don’t know when or where it meets… GAH…

@dibbles your entry is so beautiful! Please tel me what technique that is? I have never gotten the heart shaped designs in any drop swirl I’ve done, so I’m guessing it’s something else?
Thank you for the nice comment. I made the soap in a slab mold without dividers. I used squeeze bottles for all the colors except the center green (the hue). I poured some of the green in a line in the center of the mold, then started squeezing colored batter in circles within circles along the sides. I'd add more green to the center as needed to keep the level the same and to keep the sides from creeping too far into the center. When all the soap batter was poured, I just took a skewer and dragged it through the circles of batter to make the heart shapes. I split the slab in half through the green, then cut the bars. You could do this in a loaf mold as well, by just pouring the solid color against the wall or dividing off part of the mold to keep the solid section separated from the rest, removing the divider and pouring a few more circles to have a more organic look, or leave the straight division as is.

I finally decided which batch of soap to enter I just posted it. Here is a pic of the batch I didn't enter it was really hard to choose I was up till 2 last night trying to decide which one to enter this was my first batch I made my first swirl ever!View attachment 70566
I love how different your soaps look just based on the wavy cutter versus straight! The wavy ones are so cool with the swirl! It’s almost optical illusion’ish. Makes me want to wavy cut some soaps! Really nice job, @CLMP 🌸

Thank you for the nice comment. I made the soap in a slab mold without dividers. I used squeeze bottles for all the colors except the center green (the hue). I poured some of the green in a line in the center of the mold, then started squeezing colored batter in circles within circles along the sides. I'd add more green to the center as needed to keep the level the same and to keep the sides from creeping too far into the center. When all the soap batter was poured, I just took a skewer and dragged it through the circles of batter to make the heart shapes. I split the slab in half through the green, then cut the bars. You could do this in a loaf mold as well, by just pouring the solid color against the wall or dividing off part of the mold to keep the solid section separated from the rest, removing the divider and pouring a few more circles to have a more organic look, or leave the straight division as is.
Brilliant. I’m going to call that the Dibbles Drop.

Hey @Mobjack Bay life happened, and I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get my post in on time; it's gunna be tight. So that I can try as best I can, the entries close January 27 at one minute before NOON GMT, correct?
@Mobjack Bay will have to confirm, but generally the closing time is 11:59 pm GMT. I hope I'm not confusing the issue, and please check back for confirmation.

It’s very generous of you to share your method.

gong show shut up GIF by ABC Network

Back