January 2023 SMF Challenge – Pick a Color, Any Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Zing is right, @CLMP... I bought mine from the local health food store; mine have a choice between cosmetic and ingestible. The only difference was that the ingestible came in capsules and the cosmetic came loose in a jar. I went with the jar :p
I got a little jar AC from the heathfood store for now and I will definitely buy some from one of my suppliers for next time I am trying to use up as much of my stuff as I can before I put another order in. Lol Thanks so much. I was just busy making embeds all day so now I got go to bed Lol. So 😫 tired

@Mobjack Bay —Question: If I wanted to use a gray as my hue, could I use a silver to create my tone?
Also, can we incorporate an oil and mica into the pour?
As long as the mica is in the grey family, it will be fine. Here are some examples:

906E2CD3-07CE-4DE0-9E17-E7AD65430034.jpeg
Pewter Silver from BrambleBerry

EF78361A-737E-480B-BA7A-25808EA90396.jpeg
Satin Grey Pillowcase and Steel Works Silver Black from Mad Micas

Also, can we incorporate an oil and mica into the pour?

Yes, if what you’re asking about is a mica drizzle type design element. You may use it as a part of the design, but not as one of the color variations because the expectation is that all of the color variations will be mixed with soap batter. (See the notes section of the rules)

Last edited:
@basti this is amazing - I love it! If you don’t mind me asking how did you make this? I have procreate wondering if that would work

I screenshotted the blends from Nurture Soap's blender and pasted them into a document in PaintTool SAI (a digital art program like procreate). If procreate has a color blender, you may be able to do something like this natively in the program itself.

I'm loving the idea of this challenge! I realise I don't have any white mica or white colorant though. I've been procastinating buying whites, but the possibilities of this challenge really make me want to try... (I recently moved back to Italy from the UK so I've still to find new suppliers, I remember there was a thread mentioning a few EU sites...) so off I go in search of a supplier!

So my first attempt was… interesting to say the least. It’s in the oven now, but tomorrow will be very telling, I think. These colors did NOT do what I expected. Lesson learned; maybe a really cool color literally named “shapeshifter” wasn’t the best hue to use as a base 🤣

Also, quick question @Mobjack Bay - I am hoping zinc oxide was acceptable to use for the white? I could not find my TD anywhere

Attachments

• DD909017-215D-4EEF-B4C2-6B9442676F6B.jpeg
    DD909017-215D-4EEF-B4C2-6B9442676F6B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Also, quick question @Mobjack Bay - I am hoping zinc oxide was acceptable to use for the white? I could not find my TD anywhere
Zinc oxide is fine!

I’m going to be away for a couple of days and may not be able to respond to questions quickly. This is a heads up in case I appear to be a little out of touch.

I'm loving the idea of this challenge! I realise I don't have any white mica or white colorant though. I've been procastinating buying whites, but the possibilities of this challenge really make me want to try... (I recently moved back to Italy from the UK so I've still to find new suppliers, I remember there was a thread mentioning a few EU sites...) so off I go in search of a supplier!
I am trying to think of something you can use as white that would be readily available. In 2021, I tested the ability of starch and clay additives to enhance the retention of orange eo, with the additives at 4 tsp. ppo. The most obvious whitening was associated with cornstarch. There‘s a photo here. It looks like cornstarch is available in Italy. 🙂

@Mobjack Bay and @melonpan I remember reading quite a long time ago that some white food colorings contain titanium dioxide. A search here might turn something up as to how they work, but looking at Wilton ingredients on Amazon it seems it is only titanium dioxide, glycerin and water. I also have no idea what might be available in Italy.

I am trying to think of something you can use as white that would be readily available. In 2021, I tested the ability of starch and clay additives to enhance the retention of orange eo, with the additives at 4 tsp. ppo. The most obvious whitening was associated with cornstarch. There‘s a photo here. It looks like cornstarch is available in Italy. 🙂

@Mobjack Bay and @melonpan I remember reading quite a long time ago that some white food colorings contain titanium dioxide. A search here might turn something up as to how they work, but looking at Wilton ingredients on Amazon it seems it is only titanium dioxide, glycerin and water. I also have no idea what might be available in Italy.
Thank you both for the help!
I wasn't aware of cornstarch being a good candidate for whitening, so that's great to know. I happen to have it in my pantry already :)

@Mobjack Bay and everyone - I can’t seem to find the rules for photo entry. How many bars, etc. Any must includes to note? 🌸
Perfect timing because I just got home about an hour ago!

From the Specific Rules for the challenge:

”5. In addition to the list of color proportions and types of colorants used, you must present two bars of soap for the competition and each of them must contain the hue color and all tint, tone and shade variations used in the soap.”

Perfect timing because I just got home about an hour ago!

From the Specific Rules for the challenge:

”5. In addition to the list of color proportions and types of colorants used, you must present two bars of soap for the competition and each of them must contain the hue color and all tint, tone and shade variations used in the soap.”
Thank you so much - sorry I couldn’t get my eyes and brain to see that in the Rules. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Appreciate the fast reply 🌸

Back