January 2019 SMF Challenge - DOTS Entry Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I posted my mandala rocks on SMF some people suggested I should try doing it to soap. So I have! I made my usual base recipe, and halved it into black and white. The first batch moved far too quickly due to naughty FO's ( Anjou Pear and Jasmine - they smell great but look terrible!) and so I had to remake the base soaps using citrus EOs to slow trace. This batch still moved quite quickly so the soaps are not as perfect as I would like, but I wasn't about to make a third batch! Then I made some 'paint' by using just soft oil mixed with lye solution, and then splitting into 6 lots and adding mica colours. So here are the results. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you: Mandala Painted Soap!

Is there anywhere one can see how you painted these? They are gorgeous soaps @KiwiMoose

Is there anywhere one can see how you painted these? They are gorgeous soaps @KiwiMoose
Thank you Asmita - I do have a you tube channel where you can see how I paint mandalas on rocks if that's any help? I used the same process except for the soap I made a runny 'paint' out of single high oleic oil with lye solution and added micas.
First tutorial:
Continuing tutorial:

Thank you Asmita - I do have a you tube channel where you can see how I paint mandalas on rocks if that's any help? I used the same process except for the soap I made a runny 'paint' out of single high oleic oil with lye solution and added micas.
First tutorial:
Continuing tutorial:

Incredible! Thank you :)

What patience you have and how lovely. I need to practice painting on paper before working on a soap and even then can't think of doing such an intricate work in large numbers. Maybe just one or two as showpieces.

So I realized yesterday I didn’t have many more days to make my soap and I needed two days for each batch to combine. This is a long post and pic heavy!

For my idea, I thought about projects with dots we use to do in design school in order to make use of negative and positive space...I don’t know where they are but let’s just say they were extreme and could make one go dotty. I drew up a little diagram. This is my first ever soap diagram picture because in my normal soaping, I’m either a solid color or in the pot swirler, maybe layers but I’m not very patient nor do I get much time to make soap without interruption. View attachment 35483
I opted out of confetti because I realized the rest of my soap dots would displace too much of the soap with confetti. I used my regular recipe and upped my water because normally I do a pretty deep discount so my soap is pretty hard after unmolding in 24 hours, I knew I needed pliable soap and I unmolded both of my batches within 12. First soap was a layered soap that I made canes and soap balls. The canes were a pain! I sliced some soap off thinly and then rolled it out on some parchment paper then rolled like a jelly roll.View attachment 35484View attachment 35485View attachment 35486View attachment 35487 this soap is scented with Nurture Soap’s Blue agave. I don’t care for it - too perfumy and colored with their micas and some TD.
For my second batch, I colored with activated charcoal to set off the light colors of my canes and balls. Scented with NS Day of the Dead - this is a super fun scent! Makes me think of grape Nehi soda. My fave as a kid! I poured a thin layer first and then started laying in my canes and soap balls and poured soap in to fill the space up.View attachment 35488View attachment 35489 after the pour I thought my top looked too bare so I sliced up more soap and covered with more soap balls and Sprinkled some glitter on top. I poured this at 9 am and just unmolded an hour ago. I couldn’t wait! The two scents together are nice.View attachment 35490View attachment 35491View attachment 35492 overall, I’m pretty happy with the soap. I wish I had a few more smaller balls inside the loaf. I didn’t even plan too much with the cutting but there are some small ones in between the parts we can’t see. I call this soap Galactic! They look like planets floating around :)

Everyone else’s soap looks great! I love those mandala soaps!! Although I’m crafty/creative, I consider myself a utilitarian soaper. It’s a necessity and I think about what it does for me. Too many people just display the soap and I kinda think it’s wasteful and I have other crafty endeavors lol. But I’m always amazed over everyone’s amazing soapy talent! Thanks for hanging in there!
These are beautiful!

Latest posts

Back