Jackpot!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vedwards

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is quite the right place for all these questions, but I hope so!

Some friends who work in a thrift store got a box of soaping supplies donated and saved them for me - it was full of some great things! 5 BB scents, BB lye (there is red crown as well, but with the issues I've seen about some drain cleaner having other ingredients, I think I'll just let that one go and use what I've got), a couple molds, and a soap stamp, as well as five different books!

My question - I have no idea of the age of these items. the FOs, lye, and chrome green powder should all be fine, right? there are 2 EOs in there - Lavender and Orange. Do they have an expiration date?

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks! I'm at work at the moment, so I can't open the lye and check it, but I couldn't resist the FOs - I really like a couple and I don't think they exist anymore! Here's what was in the box (in varying amounts)

sensual - nice smell, but can't find it on BB's website anymore anywhere, including the FO calculator.
Christmas Spice
Heather and Hyacinth - really liked this one, but its listed as discontinued. Still, there's enough for a couple batches!
Certified organic orange EO
Lvender 40/42
Cranberry Musk - liked this one, but also no where to be found. :(

If I use 1.75 oz - 2 oz for a 50 oz batch, that's about where the other FO's I've ordered fall. Does that sound like a reasonable amount?

I use between .5 oz and 1 oz of fragrance or EO ppo. I would try a small batch using the lye. I have had lye that was not clumped turn out bad. Check the Red Crown label. If it states that it is 100% sodium hydroxide, then it should be good for soap.

Thanks! I'm at work at the moment, so I can't open the lye and check it, but I couldn't resist the FOs - I really like a couple and I don't think they exist anymore! Here's what was in the box (in varying amounts)

sensual - nice smell, but can't find it on BB's website anymore anywhere, including the FO calculator.
Christmas Spice
Heather and Hyacinth - really liked this one, but its listed as discontinued. Still, there's enough for a couple batches!
Certified organic orange EO
Lvender 40/42
Cranberry Musk - liked this one, but also no where to be found. :(

If I use 1.75 oz - 2 oz for a 50 oz batch, that's about where the other FO's I've ordered fall. Does that sound like a reasonable amount?
Here is the link for Sensuous SandalwoodSensuous Sandalwood Fragrance Oil I recommend using it at the full 1 oz ppo or 6%. I find it to be a fader in cp. Christmas Spice is also listed. If you did it using the search box you usually have to enter in the exact name of what you are looking for or their search will not come up with the product

Thanks! I'll double check the Red Crown.

cmzaha - I'll double check again. I used the names on the labels and they don't come up when I search Brambleberry or use the Fragrance Calculator. Not a big deal though. Those bottles don't have as much in them anyway, so I'll just err on the side of caution. :) Thanks!

Latest posts

Back