I've bought a house!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last four to six weeks have been crazy. In October I packed my whole life, quit the job I loved and lived for ten years, and 3 hours away from all my friends and surrogate family. I moved from my state capital to a small regional/rural town. It was a big raise and house prices are cheaper here, I couldn't afford to buy what I wanted in Perth. Shopping was always part of my equation, but I didn't expect to do it so soon. I thought I should be here for at least a year and save a little more. But a friend nudged me and told me that some banks would not need such a large down payment or stay that long at my new job.

So I went to see some suitable houses in a city, and the second I looked, I completely fell in love.

It has been a whirlwind ever since. I've never done this before. Make an offer, a counteroffer, etc. until we agree on a price.
I found a mortgage broker, I put all my stuff away. I got unconditional approval from the bank, and yesterday, magically, a bunch of new accounts appeared in my internet banking, two mortgages, and compensation.

The house is about a hundred years old and could use a facelift, but it is solid and habitable. It is on a 9-acre block so there is plenty of room for my goats, horses, chickens, and all those self-sufficient things that I love. It has a huge barn with three large stables for my goats, which is perfect.

And it has a little room adjacent to the "barn" that looks like a little roadside shop! And in the long run, the idea will be to turn it into a soap shop!

I am so excited, nervous, and scared. All you have to do is pay in 3 weeks. I keep waiting for the penny to drop, it doesn't seem like it's supposed to be that easy, I keep waiting for the bank to say "Oh sorry we made a mistake, you can't have a house" It always seemed to be a homeowner so far from my fingertips, something for other people to do, but never for me. It does not look real. But the security of having my own home will be absolutely amazing, renting a plot is very hard to come by, and when I do they are always in such a dilapidated state and there is a limit to the amount of time, money, and effort you want. put yourself in someone else's shoes when you can turn around and ask them to leave. In fact, I have moved every two years on average for the last ten years. Finally another move and hopefully it will be for a long time.

25978 Great Southern Highway, Woodanilling, WA 6316 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-wa-woodanilling-121291022

View attachment 56119
Congratulations to you. Such a Beautiful House!

Last edited:
The last 4-6 weeks has been a crazy blurr. In October I packed up my whole life, left the job that I'd been in for ten years and loved, and moved 3hrs away from all my friends and surrogate family (my actual family is on the other side of the country - four days drive away). I moved from my states capital city to a small regional/rural town. It was a large pay rise and property prices are cheaper out here, I couldn't afford to buy what I wanted in Perth. Buying was always part of my equation but I didn't expect to do it so soon. I figured I'd need to be here at least a year, and save a bit more. But a friend gave me a little nudge and said some banks wouldn't need me to have such a high deposit or be as long in my new job.

So I went to look at some suitable houses one town over, and the second one I viewed, I absolutely fell IN LOVE.

Since then it has been a whirlwind. I've never done this before. Put an offer in, and counteroffer etc until we agreed on a price.
Found a mortgage broker, submitted all my stuff.
Received a letter of unconditional approval from the bank, and yesterday magically a bunch of new accounts appeared in my internet banking, two home loan and an offset lol

The house is about a hundred years old and could do with some renovations but is solid and liveable. It is on a 9 acre block so plenty of room for my goats, horse, chickens and all that sort of self sufficient stuff I love. It has a huge shed with three big stables for my goats which is just perfect.

And it has a little room adjoining the "barn" that is like a little roadside shop! And long term the idea will be to renovate that as a little soap shop!

I am so excited, nervous and terrified. All that's left to do is settle in 3 weeks time. I keep waiting for the penny to drop, it doesn't feel like it should be this easy, I keep waiting for the bank to say "oh sorry we made a mistake, you can't have a house" LOL home ownership always seemed so far out of my reach, something for other people to do but never me. It doesn't seem real. But the security of having my own house is going to be absolutely amazing, acreage rentals are so hard to find and when I do, they are always in such run down condition and there's a limit to how much time, money and effort you want to put into someone else's place when they can turn around and ask you to leave. Indeed I've ended up moving on average every two years for the last ten. Finally one more move and hopefully that's it for a very long time

25978 Great Southern Highway, Woodanilling, WA 6316 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-wa-woodanilling-121291022

View attachment 56119
Wonderful news! I hope my turn will be a fast one. We found our new home, with a in-law suite for my YD, more room than we know what to do with. We hope to close by 30 July.

Congratulations! We have also recently bought a house.... It's so brand new, it's not built yet - and actually just now being built. This is the first time we get to pick all the inside features and that has been fun. We are hoping it will be completed by December, but it's in Florida so it will depend on the hurricanes this year.

Congratulations to you! I, too, recently bought the house of my dreams
And for those who want to buy a house, I would advise you to pay attention to the door and window openings, the main thing - their strength and sufficient size to ensure airing and lighting. Necessary parameters - good sound and heat insulation. It is desirable that the doors were insulated on both sides. Profiles are not bent or damaged, no cracks or broken glass, and moisture inside the insulating glass units are acceptable. It is also worth checking the possible warping of the structures. Everything should be easy to open and close, without serious effort. But still try to look at townhouses for sale Philippines, if you want to be satisfied

Last edited:
Congratulations! We have also recently bought a house.... It's so brand new, it's not built yet - and actually just now being built. This is the first time we get to pick all the inside features and that has been fun. We are hoping it will be completed by December, but it's in Florida so it will depend on the hurricanes this year.
You are so lucky I still cannot get my home built, not a stick home nor a modular home so here I set in a house I HATE :-(

Congratulations Kiti. Moving is such a pain, I did it this year after 35 yrs in my house. It was really hard.

Congrats! Where in FL? I'm in SW FL, Ft Myers

Congratulations Kiti. Moving is such a pain, I did it this year after 35 yrs in my house. It was really hard.
[/QUOTE]

I am amazed at how much junk we have collected. The new place is a bi-level with a kitchenet on the lower level. I have a soaping place that I don't have to worry about getting things mixed up with regular cooking stuff!

Latest posts

Back