It's Time for

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they work good for goat milk soap? I have one that seems like it starts out a pretty purple or something and ends up ugly brown. If they stayed even close to the color they start with I would LOVE to get some. I don't know enough about how they react to order any, so advice is appreciated!

I used 22 grams of buttermilk in a 1700 gram total batch in this soap with Steph's Micas & More Cosmic Purple, Glitzty Green Neon and Bodacious Blue (another neon). The purple remained true to its expected shade, but of course 22 grams of buttermilk is only about 1.3%. That's all I used because after using masterbatch solution and dissolving sugar and salt in the remaining water, there wasn't that much liquid allowed in my 40% lye concentration. But this soap did gel, so that does assist in the intensity of the colors. If you don't gel your GM soaps, I would not expect such intense colors.

I have not yet colored GM soap, as I only made it once and wanted to see it's natural color first.

Dual%20Lye%20High%20Oleic%20Soap%20-%20Ribbon%20Pour%202016Sept19%20-%20SMF%20Sept%20Entry.jpg

Do they work good for goat milk soap? I have one that seems like it starts out a pretty purple or something and ends up ugly brown. If they stayed even close to the color they start with I would LOVE to get some. I don't know enough about how they react to order any, so advice is appreciated!

It's not the goat milk part of the soap, it's the lye. Lye is a monster! I've never used this particular vendor, but she does note that they are "stable in CP". I like Brambleberry, Nature and TKB Colors b/c they have pictures of the color in CP soap. Generally speaking, you need to buy your colors from a soap supplier b/c a lot of colors just don't behave in soap. Particularly anything with blue in it - meaning blue, green and purple.

ETA TKB Trading, not colors.

Last edited:
Are the micas oil or water soluble? I looked at a couple, but I didn't see it noted.

Thanks Dixie, I may just have to get a small amount and give it a try anyway. Earlene, that is awesome soap! Do you get colored bubbles with that much color?

Thanks Dixie, I may just have to get a small amount and give it a try anyway. Earlene, that is awesome soap! Do you get colored bubbles with that much color?

No, lovinglife, the bubbles are clear and without color.

If I remember correctly, the only time I got colored bubbles was with a rebatch I did recently where I added AC to get a black soap. The lather is a bit on the grey side, as are the bubbles.

I used 22 grams of buttermilk in a 1700 gram total batch in this soap with Steph's Micas & More Cosmic Purple, Glitzty Green Neon and Bodacious Blue (another neon). The purple remained true to its expected shade, but of course 22 grams of buttermilk is only about 1.3%. That's all I used because after using masterbatch solution and dissolving sugar and salt in the remaining water, there wasn't that much liquid allowed in my 40% lye concentration. But this soap did gel, so that does assist in the intensity of the colors. If you don't gel your GM soaps, I would not expect such intense colors.

I have not yet colored GM soap, as I only made it once and wanted to see it's natural color first.

Dual%20Lye%20High%20Oleic%20Soap%20-%20Ribbon%20Pour%202016Sept19%20-%20SMF%20Sept%20Entry.jpg

Beautiful!!! What EO/FO is it?

Latest posts

Back