It's Only Day 7 and I've Become a Day Drinker!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctkc

Reaction score
8 days ago, my daughter came home after 15 days of travel including moving to Manhattan, flying to Knoxville to visit with an out of town friend, driving to Nashville for a 4 day bachelorette gig with 12 girls from around the country, flying back to Manhattan, and then driving with her boyfriend to Boston for an overnight stay. Two days later she felt awful, called a doc here in town, and was sent for testing. She did not have strep or flu, was told her COVID 19 test would be back in several days, and to quarantine herself as though she had it. Unable to return to Manhattan, she quarantined herself with us and we considered that DAY 1. With both husband and daughter now working from home, the dog and I were left to tiptoe around and mostly stayed in my bedroom until the work day ended. I spent DAY 2 searching for isopropyl or grain alcohol to make hand sanitizer. By the end of DAY 3 the dog and I were sick of each other and I handed out sleep and work space allocations so I could at least get into the kitchen. By DAY 4 we were arguing about whether the toilet roll should extend from the back or over the top. On DAY 5 my husband announced he is well into the "quarantine 20" (pounds gained). However, today is DAY 7 and I find I am much more relaxed now that I add Baileys to my afternoon coffee! Washing the towels every night and wiping down all doorknobs, faucet handles and appliance handles after she goes to bed doesn't seem so bad either. ;)

This is a creative and compassionate group. What strategies have you employed to deal with the disturbances in your daily routines, social interactions, and general responsibilities?

Bailey's in your morning coffee comes to mind.

Forgive me if I sound flip by responding with humor, but I have no skills in the area of dealing with those kinds of stress. Avoidance has always been my preferred course of action. And if avoidance is not possible, I simply try to ride it out and be thankful that no one can read my mind. At least I hope they can't.

Just keep in mind that this will pass. Really, it will.

Oh, hey! Can you and the dog, provided you're still speaking, go for walkies around the neighborhood?? Walkies are PERFECT! Grab a bandana to serve as a mask and stay the required 6 feet away from anyone threatening to interfere with your 'me time'. Heck, pack a lunch! Ooh, I do have some mad skills! Good luck and keep the Bailey's stocked. ;)

I've been feeling like I should be using this time to go through closets and give the house a good cleaning. But I haven't done that. I thought about baking something, but didn't do that either. I actually put on real clothes today instead of sweat pants, so that's something. Bailey's in coffee sounds like a lovely idea. I could probably talk myself into not doing any of the 'shoulds' for quite awhile.

Hubby decided now would be a good time to paint, so I guess I will venture out with my hand sanitizer to pick up some samples tomorrow. It will be the first time I've left the house in a week. I'll probably pick up some fresh produce while I'm out anyway. I might need wine instead of Bailey's though because hubby has decided it would be a good idea to paint.

Grab a walk outside if you can - I'm finding this is my "go to" when I'm ready to blow up in the afternoon. Although...I haven't tried starting the day with some Bailey's...wonder if I can find any right now ;)

I'm trying to get housework done. I'm trying to get things done for my small business. I'm finding that my concentration level is just not what it should be, so getting out for a quick walk helps a bit. It seems to reset my brain for a bit.

Just know that you aren't alone. We're all there and all the best to everyone in your house (especially the dog) - hope everyone stays healthy and sane!

I've been feeling like I should be using this time to go through closets and give the house a good cleaning. But I haven't done that. I thought about baking something, but didn't do that either. I actually put on real clothes today instead of sweat pants, so that's something. Bailey's in coffee sounds like a lovely idea. I could probably talk myself into not doing any of the 'shoulds' for quite awhile.

Hubby decided now would be a good time to paint, so I guess I will venture out with my hand sanitizer to pick up some samples tomorrow. It will be the first time I've left the house in a week. I'll probably pick up some fresh produce while I'm out anyway. I might need wine instead of Bailey's though because hubby has decided it would be a good idea to paint.

:D I just said to my husband the other day, we should paint the rooms in the house as it’s been 10 years. He didn’t get too excited about it, but it really is the perfect time! I don’t know if our Home Depot is open around here though because everything is totally shut down in New Jersey.

:D I just said to my husband the other day, we should paint the rooms in the house as it’s been 10 years. He didn’t get too excited about it, but it really is the perfect time! I don’t know if our Home Depot is open around here though because everything is totally shut down in New Jersey.
Better to give them a call. I should think them necessary to be open but I might be thinking on NY level.

@ctkc Nothing changed except I can't go in for speech therapy. So I spend my time trying to read things out loud. I also talk to my daughter, sisters, wall, and grandmother, in order from most to least.

8 days ago, my daughter came home after 15 days of travel including moving to Manhattan, flying to Knoxville to visit with an out of town friend, driving to Nashville for a 4 day bachelorette gig with 12 girls from around the country, flying back to Manhattan, and then driving with her boyfriend to Boston for an overnight stay. Two days later she felt awful, called a doc here in town, and was sent for testing. She did not have strep or flu, was told her COVID 19 test would be back in several days, and to quarantine herself as though she had it. Unable to return to Manhattan, she quarantined herself with us and we considered that DAY 1. With both husband and daughter now working from home, the dog and I were left to tiptoe around and mostly stayed in my bedroom until the work day ended. I spent DAY 2 searching for isopropyl or grain alcohol to make hand sanitizer. By the end of DAY 3 the dog and I were sick of each other and I handed out sleep and work space allocations so I could at least get into the kitchen. By DAY 4 we were arguing about whether the toilet roll should extend from the back or over the top. On DAY 5 my husband announced he is well into the "quarantine 20" (pounds gained). However, today is DAY 7 and I find I am much more relaxed now that I add Baileys to my afternoon coffee! Washing the towels every night and wiping down all doorknobs, faucet handles and appliance handles after she goes to bed doesn't seem so bad either. ;)

This is a creative and compassionate group. What strategies have you employed to deal with the disturbances in your daily routines, social interactions, and general responsibilities?

LOL, I haven't handled quarantine too well. But I'm getting better. Engaging in groups like this and talking to people online has made a difference. Avoiding stressful situations and people has been helpful.

Looking forward to the end of quarantine has been good.

I've also tried to adapt the best I can. Can't go to the gym so I try to get out everyday and run/walk and do workout videos on prime.

But I live alone. If I had to quarantine with my parents I'd be **** near a dateline episode by now.

Good luck!!! 7 more days, you can do it!

Perfect time to start a daily meditation practice. Many of us are too focused on external circumstances and not focused enough on changing our internal environment/mindset. Lots of great resources online (YT included). This is a great channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MingyurRinpoche

This may be a good time to reflect on our wonderful circumstances. We all have it better than any generation of humans in recorded history. We have very comfortable living conditions, access to information at our fingertips, and most of us have great freedom. There are many people in the world who are suffering and many of whom have no hope. Many would love to trade places with us.

I am actually working OT these days since many of my colleagues have gotten sick. My turn will probably Come soon though haha

I imagine if I had time at home I would theoretically give the place a good cleaning and organizing my drawers. Clothes I don’t wear or worn should be thrown out/donated. How ever I know in reality I won’t do any constructive chores lol.

However I agree about the meditation. It’s so healthy mentally and physically—- and This is defiantly a time to reflect about life.

Having others in the house makes it so much harder to get anything done. I ALWAYS find it hard to concentrate and continually talk aloud to remind myself of what I am supposed to be doing. The dog is actually a ploy to make myself look sane; my hope is that anyone who hears me thinks I am talking to him altho the family knows he is both deaf and blind. So, absent the ability to talk to myself I can't get anything done. Frankly, I'm lucky I can get dinner on the table on a normal day and now they want three squares plus snacks!

Last night daughter used Zoom app to have drinks with friends while stationed in her bedroom and hubby used it to have drinks with friends while stationed in the family room. Dog and I sat in living room listening (well, I was listening) to them laughing and getting louder by the moment. They sounded happy and I had to smile. Looking up quarantinis now.....

Last edited:
Having others in the house makes it so much harder to get anything done. I ALWAYS find it hard to concentrate and continually talk aloud to remind myself of what I am supposed to be doing. The dog is actually a ploy to make myself look sane; my hope is that anyone who hears me thinks I am talking to him altho the family knows he is both deaf and blind. So, absent the ability to talk to myself I can't get anything done. Frankly, I'm lucky I can get dinner on the table on a normal day and now they want three squares plus snacks!
Now might be the time to look into Depression Era recipes. They learned how to do a lot with very little.

I escaped yesterday by going to 4 different grocery stores looking for Kosher for Passover foods that relatives in another town can't find. I had way more patience than I expected, despite the fact that a Kosher turkey cannot be had for love or money. Who knew?!

Now might be the time to look into Depression Era recipes. They learned how to do a lot with very little.

YouTube has these old depression era cooking videos with a woman named Clara who was 94 at the time. She is/was absolutely adorable and the information is good for actually cooking (I don't want to do that, but I just like listening to her and seeing the process of making something from nothing)

8 days ago, my daughter came home after 15 days of travel including moving to Manhattan, flying to Knoxville to visit with an out of town friend, driving to Nashville for a 4 day bachelorette gig with 12 girls from around the country, flying back to Manhattan, and then driving with her boyfriend to Boston for an overnight stay. Two days later she felt awful, called a doc here in town, and was sent for testing. She did not have strep or flu, was told her COVID 19 test would be back in several days, and to quarantine herself as though she had it. Unable to return to Manhattan, she quarantined herself with us and we considered that DAY 1.

I love my kids, but after that foolishness I would have quarantined them in the garage with a blanket and a pot. I sincerely hope that she has contacted everyone she was in contact with and they are also quarantining themselves, and that they have contacted those who they were in contact with.

Back