It’s never too early....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So....I’ve been playing with felting for a couple of months. I ordered some different wools from several different suppliers, and am absolutely tickled with this Corriedale wool that I found online at Laughing Lamb Fibers. I’ve had this vision in my head since I learned about felting soap, and today I had time to make a bar as a test for Christmas soaps this year. This wool was so easy to work with, and felted quickly and consistently. I’ll definitely be ordering more colors.

jkehio.jpg

I love that, I have never felted soap. It seems interesting, my only hesitation is the effects it might have on a septic tank.

Jewels, that looks awesome!

I love that, I have never felted soap. It seems interesting, my only hesitation is the effects it might have on a septic tank.

The felting shrinks a lot with the soap, until there's just a woolly pocket left, which won't fit down the drain hole.

Felting is (usually) done with natural fibres, and any that do escape (there won't be that many) will break down in your septic system. If you are running a washing mashine to the septic (instead of the garden), you will get a lot more fibres from that (unless it's filtered).

In other words, woolly soap is ok for septics and composting systems :)

Awesome, thanks for the information. I grew up on city sewer, I moved into the country with my husband about 7 years ago, and have been so scared about the septic tank ever since.

Thanks, all.

Zero effect on the septic system. The only issues I’ve ever had with ours, and I’ve had a septic system all of my life, was using powdered Tide (the fillers and clays just clump up and don’t break down so eventually block up the system), and girls flushing sanitary products down the toilet, simply because they didn’t know any better. I am not even remotely concerned about felted soap in regards to my septic. It’s no different than our own hair going down the drain.

Awesome, thanks for the information. I grew up on city sewer, I moved into the country with my husband about 7 years ago, and have been so scared about the septic tank ever since.
It is not going to hurt septic or home plumbing. The fibers to not wash away. In fact when the soap is gone you actually end up with a wool pouch that can be used again if carefully cut open and sewed back together

I love that one for Christmas. You did a fantastic job. :nonono:Nooooooo...I am not going to start a new hobby and needle felt...need to stop looking at pics I do simple wet felting for my felted soaps

Latest posts

Back