It's killing me.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandy318

Reaction score
Really. I'm dying. I unmolded my soap, but it's too soft to cut.

It's my second batch and I think it looks so pretty and I can't wait to see it in bars!!

I don't know if soaping will make me a more patient person or a person who needs anti-anxiety meds!

The too-soft soap

1440464598786.jpg

I was terrible at cutting my soaps too soon, I still do on occasion. Its does get easier to wait as time goes by but the first few batches are torture waiting to cut.

Being patient is the hard part.:smile:

I can see that it's soft, because it's damaged on the right hand corner. Next time leave it in the mould longer, before you get it out and then leave another couple of days before cutting.

Yeah, I way underestimated how soft it actually was. I'm lucky the whole loaf didn't fall apart.

For some reason I started this soapy journey thinking that it takes around 8-10 hours at the most in a mold before soap is ready to cut. Must've read it somewhere and absorbed it as gospel. I'm realizing now that it varies A LOT!

At least I only messed up the very end. :)

mandy you might want to remember to save a piece of this soap for posterity...and being your early on in the addiction you might as well save from your first batch...this second batch being your "problem child"...
I've got my first soap here from last December...a castile....just a reminder of the joy of the first time saponification mesmerized you!
Soap on!

Yeah, I way underestimated how soft it actually was. I'm lucky the whole loaf didn't fall apart.

For some reason I started this soapy journey thinking that it takes around 8-10 hours at the most in a mold before soap is ready to cut. Must've read it somewhere and absorbed it as gospel. I'm realizing now that it varies A LOT!

At least I only messed up the very end. :)

Almost all of my CP soaps take 24 hours or more (up to 4 days!) before they can be un moulded and cut. Now salt bars can be 4-8 hours. You got lucky!

Cut it!! It sat overnight out of the mold and I checked this morning. It was either cut this morning, or not until after work, 10 hours later. I was afraid it would get too hard, based on how much it hardened up overnight.

I'm so happy with it! I didn't want it to gel, and it didn't. When I first became interested in soaping what I really wanted to create were colorful, swirly, fancy bars full of exfoliants and additives. I totally see the beauty now in a simple, creamy, lightly scented bar. <3

I used lavender and lemongrass eo, but I mostly smell lemongrass.

1440508358061.jpg

1440508374243.jpg

mandy you might want to remember to save a piece of this soap for posterity...and being your early on in the addiction you might as well save from your first batch...this second batch being your "problem child"...
I've got my first soap here from last December...a castile....just a reminder of the joy of the first time saponification mesmerized you!
Soap on!

I will do this for sure!

Great job Mandy, they look beautiful! I also love "plain" bars. I think they are elegant. One of my favorites is an uncolored/unscented goats milk soap...it looks so creamy and has a lovely subtle scent.

Welcome to the addiction!

Latest posts

Back