It's Christmas!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:-(

I'm sorry yours won't be arriving in time for the weekend. I was already starting to plan a new recipe around my leftovers, but now I can go ahead with my original plans.

My supervisor has asked me to try a blueberries and cream scented soap, so that's on the agenda for this weekend. I think I will try layering again since my last one seemed to come out well.

My fragrances are coming from Save on Scents.com. I love their massive selection. I should have around 7 or 8 new fragrances to play with by tomorrow as well. And would you believe I actually STILL forgot one that I wanted to order? Of course it's the one that was intended for ME as opposed to requests by others...! :eek:

Best of luck getting some inexpensive EO's for the weekend!

I'll be interested in hearing how your scents work out. I'll have a cruise over to Save on Scents.com and check them out, and if you like 'em I'll buy some too. They sound economical and that's what I need. I got 1 oz. NOW orange EO at Whole Foods added to my 2 oz. of same might be enough to sent a few bars. Only thing is that I'm working on avocado and goat recipes and I don't see orange going with either of them.

The scents are playing out to become the most expensive side of soaping. I never anticipated that...

Anyway I'm glad you are getting yours in time for the weekend. Every dog gets his own day and mine is coming. ;)

Lovehound said:
Good! I'm bummed out because my WSP won't be here until Monday, not in time for the weekend. It has a bunch of EOs and FOs that I *NEED*!!!

If darned Santa Claus hadn't taken this Monday off I'd be getting my stuff before the weekend too. Hrmmm..... We have a game meat store here in the valley... I wonder if they have reindeer meat. Maybe I can have Rudolph for dinner. ;) ;) ;) That'll fix old Claus. ;) ;) ;)

I'm thinking of driving over to Whole Foods Market again for their expensive EOs. Otherwise I have very little to scent any batches before Monday, and I want to have another go at swirling.

You talking about the WF in Porter Ranch? I was just there, last week, and their EO's are crazy expensive.

CiCi said:
You talking about the WF in Porter Ranch? I was just there, last week, and their EO's are crazy expensive.
You got it exactly right. That's the place. It would have been fun if we'd met. :)

When you have an addiction you don't care about the price of your dope. I bought a 1 oz. bottle of NOW orange EO (inexpensive) and added it to my 2 oz. in stock, then added the dregs of my GenWax 4 oz "little bits of orange" (1 oz left) and poured it all in today's 3# batch, now gelling. :) 1.5 oz ppo.

The alternative was waiting until Monday. :(

Well, at least you got your fix. You MAY be able to hold out until Monday. If not, try soaping a batch of non-scented. They aren't as much fun, but I have found that some non scented batches still have a natural, sweet kinda smell to them. I made a requested non-scented charcoal batch for my daughter and the charcoal absorbed all of the sweet smell. I had a couple of other batches that I forgot to add the FO at trace...but the soap still had that great sweet smell, so I still like sniffing it.

You soap sniffer!!! ;) ;) ;)

I got my new swirl unmolded this morning but it was pretty soft so it's resting in my refrigerator for a few hours, and I'm hoping it will harden up a bit so I can slice it. I'm ansy wondering if it will have a better swirl than my first attempt. :)

Actually I've been thinking of making some GM soap, and I've already made up my mind that I'll skip colorants and probably fragrance too. Does GM have any fragrance of its own, maybe one that might be unpleasant and have to mask?

I've also been considering making some small experimental batch just for my own curiosity, like maybe another one oil soap, to learn more about properties of specific oils. Already did 100% EVOO which taught me to appreciate the characteristics that secondary ingredients add.

Another thing I'd like to develop is as pure a white, uncolored soap as I can find. There's another post here at SMF that I have to find again, the OP had a batch of layered soap with a nice yellow and the purest white I've seen yet. I might make a small batch of that today or tomorrow, then WSP will be at my door Monday (I hope).

Yep...we all have our soaping addictions. I am a soap and fragrance sniffer. MMMMMMM.

I haven't soaped with milk yet. Kinda scared to try it still. I did purchase come coconut milk and will give it a go, eventually.

I've heard that GM can give off a slight amonia/urine smell, but I think that is if it gets too hot. What some have done is to take their water content and halve it. Half to dissolve the lye and the other half as GM. Dissolve the lye and pour into oils and stir...then add the other half of the liquid (GM), at thin trace. I think people get better results that way. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I do know that when I attempt it, that is the method I will use.

Think I'll go sniff some soap :p

No, you're right CiCi, that's one way to make GM soap. Your version results in half GM soap (if there's such a thing). One of our own SMF allstars posted a version that I really like that results in 100% GM soap. You do the same thing, divide your water content into two halves. Mix the first half with your lye. Calculate how much GM powder would be necessary to reconstitute that water as GM, but add it to your liquid GM instead. That way the GM is never exposed to full strength lye. Then you add your lye to the oils, stir a bit, and add the GM liquid with the GM powder. That way it's not exposed to either high heat or high lye concentration.

The amonia smell is caused when the NaOH reacts with the proteins in the GM. The bad coloring is caused when the NaOH reacts with the sugars in the GM. You avoid most of that by not exposing your GM to high lye concentrations by adding it the way that I described above. I think all that chilling and freezing the GM is just partially addressing the problem when you can avoid it almost altogether by not adding GM to lye directly. Or at least that's the theory. :)

Any possible mistakes in the above are my own and are due to my misunderstanding or miscomprehension. The ideas came from reading one of our threads here in this forum and are not my own, except for my peculiar way of explaining things.

This information is provided for educational purposes only. Use at your own risk. The author accepts no responsibility for use or misuse. All terms are null and void in the event of the second coming of Christ. All terms are null and void in the event of global thermonuclear war. Professional driver on closed course. Don't try this at home! I reserve the right to refuse service to non-human species. Excessive use may cause blindness or hair loss. Eat slowly and chew your food carefully. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Your mileage may vary. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

"This information is provided for educational purposes only. Use at your own risk. The author accepts no responsibility for use or misuse. All terms are null and void in the event of the second coming of Christ. All terms are null and void in the event of global thermonuclear war. Professional driver on closed course. Don't try this at home! I reserve the right to refuse service to non-human species. Excessive use may cause blindness or hair loss. Eat slowly and chew your food carefully. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Your mileage may vary. No animals were harmed in the making of this post."

Greg, you are an absolute nut! I read this and cracked up...oh, maybe I'M the nut :p

No CiCi, I am the nut. I used to sell my electronic handicrafts on the Internet and that was (slightly altered) my site disclaimer. I wrote it almost ten years ago and wanted to collect all the silly things I've seen or imagined in disclaimers, to poke fun at the legalism or legalisticness of them all.

Please note that I coined a few words here. No verbs or nouns were harmed in my reply, nor do I advocate the mistreatment of any English language words. I'm a kind of a language cruelty free kind of guy, and I think our language should be respected and cherished. :)

Any spelling or grammatic errors in my posts are not flaws, but rather are indicative of the hand crafted construction of my replies and show you that my posts are not industrially replicated plastic imitations of the real deal. :)

Well, they were funny...so you got a big laugh out of me.

CiCi said:
Well, they were funny...so you got a big laugh out of me.
I'm thrilled to include you as being part of "my public." Life is a stage and I'm always playing to my audience, hoping that I can get a few of you to smile or to forget about your personal problems for a few short minutes. :)

I'll be appearing in Las Vegas opening for Kathy Griffin when they get down to covering "My Life on the Z list." ;) ;) ;)

Folks, I'm on the "Z" list but I'm free! :D

Back