It's always something...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
You might recall that last time I tried scenting a soap I measured out my FO in a SOLO cup and it ate through the cup making a heck of a mess.
Tonight I thought I would be smart, I used a small glass jar to measure out my FO. The problem is that those bottles the FO comes in are really not made for pouring, I spilled a fair bit down the side of the jar. So I picked the jar up off the scales, wearing my nitrile gloves of course, and proceeded to wipe the spilled FO off the side of the jar with a paper towel... at which point the jar squirted out of my hand like a bar of soap and went flying across the kitchen spewing Patchouli Passion all over the floor as it went.
I'm afraid that Deb heard me say a few words that she has rarely ever heard me say. The look on her face was almost worth the time it took to clean up the mess. After I got the floor mopped then sat and calmed down a while, I started over with the FO and all went well this time. The soap is in the mold, we will see how it goes.
The down side, other than the wasted FO, is that now the house will smell of Patchouli Passion (which smells nothing like Patchouli by the way) for a few weeks while it slowly dissipates.
<sigh>

I had the hardest time pouring from FO containers. I was actually using a pipette to *very* slowly transfer the contents until I finally got the hang of the stick trick. Put a pipette, straw, or some other stick firmly against the top of the opened container (like you're making a "T"), then when you tip the container, the liquid will naturally flow along the stick instead of gushing down the sides.

I had the hardest time pouring from FO containers. I was actually using a pipette to *very* slowly transfer the contents until I finally got the hang of the stick trick. Put a pipette, straw, or some other stick firmly against the top of the opened container (like you're making a "T"), then when you tip the container, the liquid will naturally flow along the stick instead of gushing down the sides.

That's a neat idea!

The thing I've found with the "stick trick" is that some liquids still refuse to flow along the "stick". This is especially likely if the container is very full. What I found works a little better is to lay the stick on the mouth of the container to make that "T" that SnappyLlama described, then tip the stick even more so it lies at more of a sharp angle. This sharper angle makes it easier for the liquid to flow along the stick.

Photo 1: The "T" method with two hands, one to hold the pouring stick and one to hold the container and pour. Works pretty good most of the time. This is the version most people should start with.
Photo 2: The "T" method with one hand the way chemists do it. (The person's fingertip in this photo should be a little away from where the liquid will flow out, however.) Takes some coordination and a bit of practice, but pretty neat when you master it.
Photo 3: The angled method for very full containers. Takes two hands -- one to hold the stick, one to hold the container. Bill the Science Guy demonstrates this at about 1:15 in this video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8mw-1HYFg[/ame]

pour1.jpg

pour2.jpg

Acrylic-Mixture-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions of the "stick trick". I remember now that we did that in chemistry class, but that was so far back in the dim and murky past that I didn't remember it until you mentioned it. I'll have to practice that.

medicine cups work fine I use them

After wasting much FO from uncooperative bottles, I pour (dump, actually) mass quantities into a Dixie cup. Then I am then able to mangle the Dixie cup into a funnel-like thingy to pour precise amounts into a dish to await further tortuous moments of uncertainty. I am thinking of investing in multiple reusable largish medicine droppers. Or turkey basters. Pretty much the same thing if you ask me.

After wasting much FO from uncooperative bottles, I pour (dump, actually) mass quantities into a Dixie cup. Then I am then able to mangle the Dixie cup into a funnel-like thingy to pour precise amounts into a dish to await further tortuous moments of uncertainty. I am thinking of investing in multiple reusable largish medicine droppers. Or turkey basters. Pretty much the same thing if you ask me.

Teresa you made me spit tea on my tablet screen with your description LOL

I use the sloppy method. I put my pot with the melted oils on my scale, and pour the FO directly into the pot, slowly and carefully to avoid using another container. No matter how slowly and carefully I do this, I do get some drips down the side of the bottle. I have a paper towel ready to wipe up the drips, and this paper towel goes into my closet or drawers. Just FYI, before I throw away "empty" bottles of FO, you know there's always a drop or two left at the bottom, I stand them upside down on a paper towel, and these also go into the closet, a suitcase, my winter boots, under the seat of the car, the bathroom trash can....you can always find some place that could smell better. Last year I kept wondering why my winter coat smelled so good, then the light bulb went on and I remembered that paper towel in the coat closet. You may also discover some great new FO combos. I had a bottle of Nag Champa draining next to a bottle of Lavender........YUM! Now, I never would have thought to combine those two, but they are lovely together. FOs are too expensive to waste even a drop, this way even the dregs get used up. This may not be the answer you were looking for, but it works for me. :grin:

Latest posts

Back