Itchy skin from handmade soap...Need your help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really I think this is something your doctor could better help you with and tell him or her exactly what you posted here.

Do you itch as soon as you get out of the shower? Or is it later on? I know that I have issues in the winter with using hot water, and then shaving, and as the hair starts to grow back I get bad itching. I don't shave as often in the winter now since I'm in pants most of the time anyways. Or waxing seems to help me avoid the itch for longer.

Pine Tar is purchased from your local farm supply store. You can add it to your soap recipe and I use it from between 5 & 7% of my oils. I find it quite soothing...

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. I am going to buy Pine Tar soap, hopefully my local Whole Foods sells it. I want to try it first before I purschase Pine Tar online (I don't live by many (animal) farms, so access to it is limited). I kills me to buy soap b/c I have a ton of it at home that my husband & baby are using, with no problems. I have been using Dove sensitive skin, but the itching continues, still after a few weeks. Yesterday I tried rubbing plain avocado oil on one leg & sweet almond oil on the other. Within a few minutes both were feeling itchy/irritated, so I added moisturizer and that seeemd to help for a bit. Someone suggested using a toner on my legs after taking a shower. I loooked up Witch Hazel, but I'm afraid to use it because of the drying factor. I have an aloe plant at home & have used that with success. If the Pine Tar soap doesn't work, and I11%SF soap that I'm making today doesn't work, I'm going to make an apt. with my dermatologist. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for the number of responses and the thoughtful suggestions!

gogreen I hope this gets better for you and was just an out of the ordinary senstive reaction. I don't think my skin itchiness and irritarion was caused by handmade soap. I honestly don't know where it came from and it took me awhile before I finally showed the doctor. I wanted to use just some cortisone cream and have that do the trick but was prescribed the greasy steroid ointment. Pine tar soap was not real effective but that doesn't mean it won't be just the right thing for somebody else. I really grew to like the scent and the nice brown color.

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. I am going to buy Pine Tar soap, hopefully my local Whole Foods sells it. I want to try it first before I purschase Pine Tar online (I don't live by many (animal) farms, so access to it is limited). I kills me to buy soap b/c I have a ton of it at home that my husband & baby are using, with no problems. I have been using Dove sensitive skin, but the itching continues, still after a few weeks. Yesterday I tried rubbing plain avocado oil on one leg & sweet almond oil on the other. Within a few minutes both were feeling itchy/irritated, so I added moisturizer and that seeemd to help for a bit. Someone suggested using a toner on my legs after taking a shower. I loooked up Witch Hazel, but I'm afraid to use it because of the drying factor. I have an aloe plant at home & have used that with success. If the Pine Tar soap doesn't work, and I11%SF soap that I'm making today doesn't work, I'm going to make an apt. with my dermatologist. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again for the number of responses and the thoughtful suggestions!
Just saw this post and was curious if you solved the problem? Did SF increase help? I have the same issue just as of late and I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities as well. I appreciate the feedback!

I would assume unless you have some sort of religious objection, that you are shaving your legs...? when shaving you remove the hair and the top of the outter most layer of skin. that in combo with your homemade soap maybe causing the problem.
I live in a very dry state ( AZ) and have stopped shaving my legs entirely. And no more scaley legs. I've taught my teen to wax her legs so she does it only every 4-6 weeks which keeps her skin in good shape and no scaley legs either. We're meant to have body hair it protects our skin.

Just saw this post and was curious if you solved the problem? Did SF increase help? I have the same issue just as of late and I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities as well. I appreciate the feedback!
This member hasn't been here for 10 yrs, so your not likely to get feedback from them.

I live in a very dry state ( AZ) and have stopped shaving my legs entirely. And no more scaley legs. I've taught my teen to wax her legs so she does it only every 4-6 weeks which keeps her skin in good shape and no scaley legs either. We're meant to have body hair it protects our skin.
This member hasn't been here for 8 yrs, so probably won't see your answer to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back