it worked! HP milk & honey, with volcano...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
After the kids went to bed last night, I ran to my kitchen and started working on the hot process milk & honey bar that I had been waiting ALL DAY to make. I've made the same recipe a dozen times as cold process (only with buttermilk instead of goat milk) and wanted to see how it would work hot process. My main concern, though, was how to add the milk. I could not find powdered goat milk, so I bought goat milk in a carton and crossed my fingers that it would work.

And it did! YAY! The only problem is that since it's already liquid, I couldn't concentrate it to make it an "all milk" soap. With powder I could have added enough powder to make it 100% goat milk, but without that option, it's only about 25% goat milk. Either way, I'm excited that it worked. Here are some photos of how I did it.

First I measured out my goat milk, which was about 25% of the total "water" volume, and put it in the freezer. Then I measured out the remaining water, added the lye, and set it aside. Then I melted the oils in my crock pot:

I added my lye solution and stick blended to trace:

I put the lid on to let it cook on low, and in less than 2 minutes it tried to blow the lid off my crock pot. I wanted to take a picture, but then I wouldn't have been able to stir it and I would have had soap on the ceiling. I'm assuming it volcanoed because I was using so much less water in the reaction than normal? Or maybe it was the combination of ingredients. Either way, I stirred it down, covered and cooked a couple of minutes, stirred it down again, and did this two or three times. When it looked like warm, THICK petroleum jelly, I turned off the crock pot and stirred to release some heat. I added oats and stirred them in, then added honey and stirred it in.

After the honey was incorporated, I removed the goat milk from the freezer and broke the ice with a spoon, stirring it until it was slushy. Then I poured it into the pot and stirred quickly to prevent localized hardening. By this time my arm was VERY tired. That stuff was thick!

Once the milk was totally incorporated, I glopped the soap into the mold, banged it on the ground a few times, and then flattened it with a press.

Here's what the finished soaps look like after about 12 hours (they have beeswax in them, so I had to cut them before they got too hard).

Nice! I love beeswax in soap but find it a bit unpredictable sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cause of your volcano.

If you live near a Whole Foods you can get powdered GM there. I just got some.

Those soaps look good to me.

Thats AWESOME!!!!! I love the CPHP much better then the CP, and now I know you can add GM at the end. WAY COOL!!!! Your soaps look GREAT!!!!!

Maria said:
Nice! I love beeswax in soap but find it a bit unpredictable sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cause of your volcano.

I bet that was it. The mixture got too hot with it. Beeswax can be difficult sometimes. Sounds like the lye was cooled down before it was used so it couldn't have been that. I hear you can get volcano's if your lye mixture wasn't cooled down before adding it to the oils. I haven't tried HP yet but I can't wait to try it.

The soaps are beautiful by the way!

Great job, Andrea! The tutorial and pics are nice.... I do all my soap CPHP, so it's nice to know I can add the goats milk at the end. Do we have Whole foods here in Florida? I've tried all the local grocery stores and can not find powdered goats milk....

squeakyclean said:
Great job, Andrea! The tutorial and pics are nice.... I do all my soap CPHP, so it's nice to know I can add the goats milk at the end. Do we have Whole foods here in Florida? I've tried all the local grocery stores and can not find powdered goats milk....

Hi squeakyclean! I don't know if there's one in Naples, but I do know there's a Fresh Market in Naples. Try there or at a health food store. I know there are a couple of good health food stores there, but it's been a while since I lived in Naples and I can't remember where they are or what they're called!

Cyndi: Thanks for the tip on the powered GM! I have one up the road from me. I'm going to check it out!! Thanks!

Very nice. I am starting to get tempted to try the HP method. :D May have to try it this weekend. Thanks for the tutorial.

Back