It was bound to happen eventually...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
I think I've got the first batch of soap I'm going to have to toss. It's one I made following the loaf that was far too soft and I thought it didn't gel. Well, it's possible it did with a superfat higher than I accounted for cuz I think the bottle of lye I was/am using is going bad.

I made another batch with the same bottle this past Sunday and it looked like it had overheated, sweating droplets of oil on top. Well, it's still soft, soft, soft, but I dumped it out of the mold anyhow and cut a slice off. It does not look pretty. It's greasy greasy and does not zap and ugly as all get out.

Sigh. I don't think it separated or I'd have a go at the crock pot.

:headbanging:

Some pictures:

15400434_10211029550991649_7105296142524039403_n.jpg

15665582_10211029550871646_4248517196637984491_n.jpg

15665440_10211029552311682_8293975793863372150_n.jpg

Oh man, I am so sorry.

I have wondered about this issue since I read DeeAnna's great article on NaOH storage, which can be found here: http://classicbells.com/soap/purityCheck.html#dryBucket.

I do not have enough NaOH to justify buying a big bucket with a gamma lid. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping NaOH fresh without a setup like that?

Scooter

Last edited:
Oh man, I am so sorry.

I have wondered about this issue since I read DeeAnna's great article on NaOH storage, which can be found here: http://classicbells.com/soap/purityCheck.html#dryBucket.

I do not have enough NaOH to justify buying a big bucket with a gamma lid. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping NaOH fresh without a setup like that?

Scooter

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting (but not gamma) lid. Mine happened to contain reef salt originally, which soaks up moisture like a fiend. I figured if it was good for salt, it should be good for lye.

Yep, I would try rebatching before tossing. It looked like it overheated and started separating which will make a oily mess. One more reason why I prefer not to gel. Lovely soap by the way, the peachy bits are really pretty with the blues.

Can we know by touching the droplets if it is oil, glycerin or water?

Complete newbie here and I too made a batch which had some clear liquid collected at centre bottom of loaf. I assumed it was glycerin but reading your post I am wondering if it was oil.

Oh man, I am so sorry.

Scooter

I bought lye in a small bottle and a large bottle. I decant from the large bottle to the small one and so rarely open the large bottle. The advantage of this is the right labeling and a child proof lock on both. I have never had a problem with lye going bad with this method but I use up what I buy relatively quickly.

Oh man, I am so sorry.

Scooter

This is what I do for lye I take with me when I travel:
1. Tape around the bottle lid using electrical tape, to prevent in/out transfer of ambient water/lye crystals.
2. Place in a plastic zip-lock baggie (the smallest size possible that will still close completely after expelling as much air as possible.)
3. Place that inside a USPS bubble-wrap mailer (for my size bottles this is a perfect fit with one fold-over.)
4. Rubber band it tightly.

One other thing you can do, but I don't, although I have considered it:

Add a small desiccation packet (like comes in handbags and other items when you purchase them at the stores.) NOT in the lye bottle itself, but in the zip-lock baggie.

Rusti, those sure are pretty. They remind me of the high & low water soaps I made. Just the surface look of them.

You know, you can test the lye for purity. Kevin Dunn tells how here. DeAnna has an article on the method as well here.

The trouble is, you have to have phenolphthalein on hand, which you may not. I know I don't, although it was once on my list of things to buy.

Rusti, what a gorgeous swirl! bummed to see it didn't work out. I think it may be an FO issue...is that a new FO for you?

No, it's BB's White Tea & Ginger and I've soaped it before with great results. I just made an error somewhere, somehow. Bad lye (no phenolphthalein, so I can't check purity), a couple minutes too long on the heating pad, I dunno. There's not much lye left in that bottle so I'm going to just chuck it anyway.

Reckon I'll try rebatching it this evening if I've got the energy when I get home from work.

I'll second that - - I've never had a problem with that FO either, behaves very well in my soap.

Yep, I would try rebatching before tossing. It looked like it overheated and started separating which will make a oily mess. One more reason why I prefer not to gel. Lovely soap by the way, the peachy bits are really pretty with the blues.

That's actually why I don't like using loaf molds too much. I get better results from individual molds when I try to gel.

It came back together OK, Wednesday night. I cut it just now but it is still suuuper soft and tacky in the fresh cuts. Guess we'll see how it cures out in a few weeks.

On the lye storage issue - I buy a lot of lye and had an issue before with humidity - Im in Florida. So I bought one of those huge zip lock garment bags that you suck out all the air with the vacuum kind. And I put all the containers in there and vacuum seal it. It has worked so far.

Back