It was a soapmaking kind of day!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I made another batch of mechanic soap and tried a new recipe. I started to come on here and get opinions about the new recipe, but decided to just bite the bullet and see what happens. Fingers crossed. (New recipe was 75% lard 20% oo 5% castor)

13442410_1052140891529785_5273357695292157385_n.jpg

Sounds good. What did you put in there as an exfoliant and what was your SF? Mechanic's soap (and gardener's soap) need an exfoliant in them to do any good at getting the dirt, grease and grit out of the cracks and grooves of the skin. By itself, I think it would make a wonderful soap, but not for a "dirty job" like that, because it is so conditioning. However, throw some scratchy stuff in there and that would be heaven on earth for me. I think it would make a good shower bar for dry winter skin if it had oatmeal flour in it as an exfoliant. You can easily make that by putting some oats in a coffee grinder and pulverizing them to powder.

Sounds good. What did you put in there as an exfoliant and what was your SF? Mechanic's soap (and gardener's soap) need an exfoliant in them to do any good at getting the dirt, grease and grit out of the cracks and grooves of the skin. By itself, I think it would make a wonderful soap, but not for a "dirty job" like that, because it is so conditioning. However, throw some scratchy stuff in there and that would be heaven on earth for me. I think it would make a good shower bar for dry winter skin if it had oatmeal flour in it as an exfoliant. You can easily make that by putting some oats in a coffee grinder and pulverizing them to powder.

Sorry, I re-read my post and realized it was a little confusing. I made a plain soap with just the lard/oo/castor and then I made another batch of the mechanic soap I have been making. I used pumice as the exfoliant in that one. My husband says it works pretty good and this is the third batch I've made of it.
I want to know where you got that mold, and how much it holds, pretty please?

I actually got that mold from doriettefarm on here. She sent it to me when I was first getting started and I love the thing. I think she said it was a lasagna pan. Anyway it holds about 3 lbs if you fill both cavities, but since this was a new recipe, I only used the one side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I re-read my post and realized it was a little confusing. I made a plain soap with just the lard/oo/castor and then I made another batch of the mechanic soap I have been making. I used pumice as the exfoliant in that one. My husband says it works pretty good and this is the third batch I've made of it.

I thought you made mechanic's soap with a new recipe and were asking what we thought of your new mechanic's soap recipe. You probably thought I was an idiot!! ROTFL!! ( I still think if you throw some exfoliant into that new soap, you'd have an awesome winter soap for dry skin. :wink:)

I thought you made mechanic's soap with a new recipe and were asking what we thought of your new mechanic's soap recipe. You probably thought I was an idiot!! ROTFL!! ( I still think if you throw some exfoliant into that new soap, you'd have an awesome winter soap for dry skin. :wink:)

Didn't think you were an idiot at all, I re-read my post and realized it came across that way lol. I just assumed that everyoneknew I make mechanic soap and the recipe I use, I forget I'm not the only one who posts on here!

If I like this new soap, I may try adding an exfoliant to it. I love the regular recipe that I use (lard/oo/co and castor) but decided to see if this one might be a tad better for my skin, so I decided to give it a shot. Back in January, I made a salt/charcoal bar that was supposed to be for my son (he's got oily skin), but I use it more than he does and I really like the way the salt seems to exfoliate a tad, so I would probably like it in this bar as well.

Latest posts

Back