It takes a lot to overwhelm me, but I'm officially just a gelatinous mass of indecision

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@DWinMadison All I have to say is you are soooo funny! You have quite a talent for writing and your posts are always interesting and entertaining :) Glad you had fun on your soaping supply excursion ;)
Concerning the AC soap, I find it to be more moisturizing than drying and I know this is probably the recipe more than the AC but it definitely not drying. I know it does absorb toxins so maybe that helps with the inflammation, secondary infection and irritation in psoriasis.

@Zany_in_CO I have never made a shampoo bar because I was under the assumption it was bad for your hair. If you are feeling generous I would love to try your recipe :)

@Marilyn I think trying the salt bar is a good idea you never know what might work!

The shampoo my doctor prescribed for me in the past (with Selenium) worked fabulously to get rid of it and it did not return for a very long time,
Hmmm. have you tried taking selenium as a supplement? It's a natural hormone. I take 50 mcg a day. (I'm in the process of balancing my hormones to stave off Alzheimers/Dementia). I call it my "happy pill" because it makes me feel happy... I notice the difference on days when I forget to take it.... which is happening all too often these days. :p
I have never made a shampoo bar because I was under the assumption it was bad for your hair. If you are feeling generous I would love to try your recipe
Here's the thing, Terri. The bar I recommended to Daryl might suit his hair but not work for you. And it's not a "shampoo bar" per se, but rather a regular ole basic bar of soap that happened to work well for hubby's hair and skin.

As far as ruining your hair, it can happen. There are horror stories. I'm one of the few members of SMF that shampooed with every bar of soap I made from the very beginning -- with no problems at all. Some worked better than others. I now use liquid hair & body shampoo that suits me fine.

Here's a link to a thread where you can learn more about the pros and cons:
Shampoo Bars
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bars.68585/

Last edited:
have you tried taking selenium as a supplement

how much selenium do you take? I was eating a brazil nut or 2 everyday but I quit. don't you have to be careful of it building up in your body? I think its interesting that it makes you happy. I am going to have to go look this up again

good luck with getting something to help. have you ever tried taking extra vitamin D

Yes, but not lately. Maybe I should again. Lab results showed my levels to be good, so I stopped taking it, but my Dr. said I should probably take at least a low dose daily.

Hmmm. have you tried taking selenium as a supplement?

Yes, I take it every day and have been for at least 2 months or more hoping it would help. No change as yet, and I may stop when this bottle runs out. I even crushed some of the tablets and added the powder as a rinse for my scalp. It was messy and left granules in my hair, adding to the itchiness, so I only did that twice (I had made enough to do it twice.)

Congratulations on your fun problem! I always find just 'getting-in-there' helps me past the daunting where to begin indecision.

You might want to start by using up that hemp oil. In case you haven't used it before... It doesn't have a very long shelf life. You might want to keep it in the fridge and hit it with some vitamin e (if you have any on hand). I like to use it in place of some OO or AO in a recipe. It can be prone to DOS, because it is so high in Linoleic acid... so I'd check I want to ensure that the sum of Linoleic and Linolenic is less than 15%.
Very nice info. Thank you.

I will have to check this out. I need to have multiple things to rotate in and out cuz nothing seems to work longer than a couple weeks at a time for me. hopefully with my hair real short the sun (if it ever coes out again) will help too. psoriasis is an autoimmune disease and a person with it can use anything, but it only gives relief, it doesn't heal it. but I am looking for some relief. I cant take the meds any more due to infections. the healing needs to come from within and I know I have been eating way to much sugar so I need to stop again. everybody has their own triggers and I think I have mine figured out after 60 years of this stuff but sometimes I go off rail with what I throw inside my body. I am my own worst enemy
I know exactly what you mean.
We just had Easter and although I told everyone not to give me chocolate I got 4 big ones...and ate them all...and paid for it over 4 days :(

Life is tough with an auto immune disease. Everyday you do something like take a long walk, make it through 24 hrs without sugar or cook yourself something healthy you are doing a fabulous job. Keep up the good work. Lots of us out there are doing the same.

Scratching my head is automatic (I don’t have psoriasis) but other people notice when I don’t do it - since using hask (but also reducing sugar and exercising more so who knows which is working?) Try hask AC and see if it works for you.

Community Candle is about 15 minutes from where I work. If you come back to Bham let me know - maybe we can get together!

I'm really excited to see CC offer more stuff! I will say I'm not wild about most of their FOs - they are candle people so I've had the majority be "meh" in soap.

Edit - BTW, you can use some types of laundry bluing on your hair - and also your pets!
http://mrsstewart.com/whiten-hair-and-pets/

We use this VERY carefully on our dogs. We like to use during their Christmas bath so they are super white!

My grandmother used to use Mrs. Stewarts Bluing on her hair. I was reluctant to even mention it because it is a laundry product and I've never looked up how safe it was for hair. So thank you to dixiedragon for including that link. Now I know. I also have white hair, but unlike my Dad's white hair, I don't get that yellow tinge. Well, only once, and that was when I use a couple of different chemical treatments one after the other to treat my scalp psoriasis and it washed out with the next shampoo. Otherwise I may have given Mrs. Stewarts a try then, because it was the first thing that came to mind in light of my grandmother.

I had psoriasis for 10+ years, but get rid of it when I went to the doctor. I tried everything over the counter, and the only thing that gave relief was cortison cream. Going to a sun studio also helped. I did not visit the doctor for so long because I had it close to an intimate spot, and I found it imbarrasing to show it to anybody. But eventually I did, and the doctor prescribed me a cream, a strong cortison cream. That cured it. Not immediately, but it went away, came back, went away again or disappeared and came back in another spot. It was like that for a couple of years before it finally was gone for ever. It was the strong cortison creme that did the trick and chased my psoriasis away, for good. If I only could remember the name of the miracle cream.... I have no idea if it can be used on the head, though. But it definately was effective.

Community Candle is about 15 minutes from where I work. If you come back to Bham let me know - maybe we can get together!

I'm really excited to see CC offer more stuff! I will say I'm not wild about most of their FOs - they are candle people so I've had the majority be "meh" in soap.

Edit - BTW, you can use some types of laundry bluing on your hair - and also your pets!
http://mrsstewart.com/whiten-hair-and-pets/

We use this VERY carefully on our dogs. We like to use during their Christmas bath so they are super white!
Thanks Dixie. That would be fun. I'm resolved to make more regular trips home in the future. My mom's not getting any younger, and her eyes have reached the point that it's not safe for her to drive to Jackson. So, if I'm going to see her, I'll have to go there. I know we've probably talked about this before, but mom is in Trussville
Congratulations on your fun problem! I always find just 'getting-in-there' helps me past the daunting where to begin indecision.

You might want to start by using up that hemp oil. In case you haven't used it before... It doesn't have a very long shelf life. You might want to keep it in the fridge and hit it with some vitamin e (if you have any on hand). I like to use it in place of some OO or AO in a recipe. It can be prone to DOS, because it is so high in Linoleic acid... so I'd check I want to ensure that the sum of Linoleic and Linolenic is less than 15%.
No congrats please. I made a list last night of everything I want/need to do then promptly took an Ativan and went to bed...after watching "GOT:The Battle of Winterfell" which we recorded last week. I'm gonna have to cool my jets until we get some of this summer travel out of the way. This was supposed to be 1) fun and 2) a part-time gig until retirement.

Back