It takes a lot to overwhelm me, but I'm officially just a gelatinous mass of indecision

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. I completed my maiden voyage to the soap wholesale store. Really fun, and amazing how much the prices fall when you buy in bulk! My palm cost went from $.29/ounce buying locally to $.08!!! I have several projects in the hopper and not idea where to begin:
  1. Activated charcoal bars (for which I plan to shamelessly copy @Terri E 's excellent work); although, it will not doubt be a poor imitation. I mentioned I was approached by my new banker who suffers from psoriasis and orders from out-of-state, plus I met a lady in Birmingham Saturday with the same condition and wants to try it.
  2. Shampoo Bar--looking for one especially for (my) gray hair, which is nice and short generally , but also really dry and brittle. It's hard to find shampoos of any type except the "silver lights" formulations that don't turn white hair dull and "mousy." Any suggestions? I wonder if a blue colorant might help a little.
  3. Shave soaps- My stainless scuttles arrive in the mail yesterday, and I'm dying to give this a go.
  4. Soap cutter Mach 2 needs to be finished---it's in the garage about 90% complete.
  5. Web site needs to be made ready for e-commerce now that the bank account is set up. That means I have to step up the quality of photography. I'v actually thought of hiring a professional photographer to give us some lessons and help us set up a mini-studio.
  6. I'm writing my own soapmaking software--Although, it would be a better use of my time to just buy Soapmaker 3, I like understanding how it works from the ground up, and I have no doubt I can improve upon what's out there. This is one of those things you just have to work on a little every day.
The new products I picked up made it even worse:
  1. Hemp Oil - apparently very trendy at the moment. Good for shampoo?
  2. There's also the soy wax I found in my closet last week-No idea what's the best use of that.
  3. Rose Kaolin Clay - That's going in the charcoal bars
  4. Stearic Acid...never used that before
  5. Sodium lactate - likewise
  6. Vanilla staibilizer - I picked this up because I'm scared to death to use vanilla-containing products after reading the morphing horror stories.
  7. New CC fragrances: "Sea Salt Rosemary," "Scottish Flannel," "Egyptian Musk" As y'all may recall, I don't generally use FOs, peferring EOs, but these smelled great, and the drives the cost / bar down significantly.
Here's a funny...I told my wife I was asking the wholesale lady about "Jo-jo-bah" oil. She said, "Well, if you called it that, you can never go back as it is pronounced 'ho-Ho-bah.'" Oops. :blush

So, there's my week. How are you guys?

you are buuusy………….I am just getting ready to order things, biting at the bit.
I have a question for you--I have psoriasis and am wondering what benefits charcoal has for that--is it just to get the plaques off? maybe you should try some pine tar bars. it is on my list but then again I might just try making a salve instead
edited to say good job on the prices, I wished I was close to a place like that :)

How exciting, DW! Sounds like a fun excursion.

Bulk pricing is so very enticing, isn't it? Which wholesale shop did you visit? I haven't done this yet, but would love to actually include an excursion such as this in my travels. The trouble is, I drive a convertible, so I'd be limited in purchases, or maybe that's a plus!

It was certainly very nice of the lady at the shop not to correct you, but I am surprised, she didn't. Perhaps she just figured you spoke with an accent or were joking.

How exciting, DW! Sounds like a fun excursion.

Bulk pricing is so very enticing, isn't it? Which wholesale shop did you visit? I haven't done this yet, but would love to actually include an excursion such as this in my travels. The trouble is, I drive a convertible, so I'd be limited in purchases, or maybe that's a plus!

It was certainly very nice of the lady at the shop not to correct you, but I am surprised, she didn't. Perhaps she just figured you spoke with an accent or were joking.
The store I visited is in Birmingham, AL.--Community Candle and Soap Supply. They are Crafter's Choice partners, and carry a fairly decent supply on-site supply of both FO's and colorants. They don't have much of a showroom...just a few displays of molds, additives and sample FOs. It's more of a warehouse, where you order ahead and come by appointment to pick up your order. It's a 4 hour drive for me each way, but Birmingham just happens to be my childhood home, so I can combine supply trips with much-to-infrequent visits to my mom...and write off a portion of the travel, so it's a #win-win. I was surprised to find no similar stores in Memphis, NOLA or Mobile...all about the same distance and places we visit more frequently, but I guess you can't have everything. I'm sure it's a killer to try and compete with major mail-order suppliers and Amazon. BTW, I also got 18lbs of lye for $.13/oz, which is a pretty good price as well for flakes vs. crystals which I've always used in the past.

you are buuusy………….I am just getting ready to order things, biting at the bit.
I have a question for you--I have psoriasis and am wondering what benefits charcoal has for that--is it just to get the plaques off? maybe you should try some pine tar bars. it is on my list but then again I might just try making a salve instead
edited to say good job on the prices, I wished I was close to a place like that :)
Marilyn, I honestly don't pretend to understand it, but many people with psoriasis seem to swear by it. Clearly, it is drying and supposedly it leeches toxins from the skin, but that confuses me as the psoriasis is an an autoimmune response...not a foreign toxin. I actually suggested pine tar to one of these ladies, but she was pretty set on the AC as the thing that helps her the most. I'm just trying to help some folks out, and if I can make a small profit from my time and effort, that's great too. Hope you get to order those supplies soon. Join me in the poor house! Daryl.

Last edited by a moderator:
The store I visited is in Birmingham, AL.--Community Candle and Soap Supply. They are Crafter's Choice partners, and carry a fairly decent supply on-site supply of both FO's and colorants. They don't have much of a showroom...just a few displays of molds, additives and sample FOs. It's more of a warehouse, where you order ahead and come by appointment to pick up your order. It's a 4 hour drive for me each way, but Birmingham just happens to be my childhood home, so I can combine supply trips with much-to-infrequent visits to my mom...and write off a portion of the travel, so it's a #win-win. I was surprised to find no similar stores in Memphis, NOLA or Mobile...all about the same distance and places we visit more frequently, but I guess you can't have everything. I'm sure it's a killer to try and compete with major mail-order suppliers and Amazon. BTW, I also got 18lbs of lye for $.13/oz, which is a pretty good price as well for flakes vs. crystals which I've always used in the past.

Cool! I keep wanting to visit a soap supplier, but have never put it in my itinerary. Columbus Foods (aka Soaper's Choice) is close enough (160 miles) and so is Nurture Soaps, really, (383 miles) but I've just never done it. We don't usually drive to the Chicago area (take the train normally) and I just don't go to Indiana for fun very often. But one of these days, I just might make a point of doing both places by car and maybe do a bit of a visit to the INDY 500 Speedway Museum. I've never been there.

DA943EFA-16AE-4658-BDE8-D76E850C1DB9.jpeg
Hey all. I completed my maiden voyage to the soap wholesale store. Really fun, and amazing how much the prices fall when you buy in bulk! My palm cost went from $.29/ounce buying locally to $.08!!! I have several projects in the hopper and not idea where to begin:
  1. Activated charcoal bars (for which I plan to shamelessly copy @Terri E 's excellent work); although, it will not doubt be a poor imitation. I mentioned I was approached by my new banker who suffers from psoriasis and orders from out-of-state, plus I met a lady in Birmingham Saturday with the same condition and wants to try it.
  2. Shampoo Bar--looking for one especially for (my) gray hair, which is nice and short generally , but also really dry and brittle. It's hard to find shampoos of any type except the "silver lights" formulations that don't turn white hair dull and "mousy." Any suggestions? I wonder if a blue colorant might help a little.
  3. Shave soaps- My stainless scuttles arrive in the mail yesterday, and I'm dying to give this a go.
  4. Soap cutter Mach 2 needs to be finished---it's in the garage about 90% complete.
  5. Web site needs to be made ready for e-commerce now that the bank account is set up. That means I have to step up the quality of photography. I'v actually thought of hiring a professional photographer to give us some lessons and help us set up a mini-studio.
  6. I'm writing my own soapmaking software--Although, it would be a better use of my time to just buy Soapmaker 3, I like understanding how it works from the ground up, and I have no doubt I can improve upon what's out there. This is one of those things you just have to work on a little every day.
  2. There's also the soy wax I found in my closet last week-No idea what's the best use of that.
  6. Vanilla staibilizer - I picked this up because I'm scared to death to use vanilla-containing products after reading the morphing horror stories.
  7. New CC fragrances: "Sea Salt Rosemary," "Scottish Flannel," "Egyptian Musk" As y'all may recall, I don't generally use FOs, peferring EOs, but these smelled great, and the drives the cost / bar down significantly.
Here's a funny...I told my wife I was asking the wholesale lady about "Jo-jo-bah" oil. She said, "Well, if you called it that, you can never go back as it is pronounced 'ho-Ho-bah.'" Oops. :blush

Oh, and I gotta say, THIS ONE was the perfect co-pilot!

Marilyn, I honestly don't pretend to understand it, but many people with psoriasis seem to swear by it. Clearly, it is drying and supposedly it leeches toxins from the skin, but that confuses me as the psoriasis is an an autoimmune response...not a foreign toxin. I actually suggested pine tar to one of these ladies, but she was pretty set on the AC as the thing that helps her the most. I'm just trying to help some folks out, and if I can make a small profit from my time and effort, that's great too. Hope you get to order those supplies soon. Join me in the poor house! Daryl.

I have horrible psoriasis on my scalp that acts up sometimes. I actually have to go back to my doctor soon because all the OTC remedies won't get rid of it except for a short amount of time. I don't have it on the rest of my body, or at least haven't yet. But I have tried all kinds of OTC remedies. The one that works the best to relieve itching and provide relief for a couple of days after use (not complete remission, but a reduction of symptoms and reduction of the plaques) is MG217 . The ointment is a major pain in the patootie for scalp application, but that's what I am currently using because that's what I found at the drug store when I was searching for an OTC remedy while traveling recently. There is a liquid form made specifially for the scalp, though, which I haven't tried.

Putting off going to the doctor about this recurrent problem is stupid on my part, because I know once I start on whatever medication he will prescribe, I will be so much better so much more quickly. I just always put this sort of thing off. But just typing about this just now gave me the push I needed to call and make an appointment for Friday morning. So I have to thank you for that.

Isn’t it a lovely store @DWinMadison, the lady and her husband is so lovely also. Good to know you love it as well.

I have horrible psoriasis on my scalp that acts up sometimes. I actually have to go back to my doctor soon because all the OTC remedies won't get rid of it except for a short amount of time. I don't have it on the rest of my body, or at least haven't yet. But I have tried all kinds of OTC remedies. The one that works the best to relieve itching and provide relief for a couple of days after use (not complete remission, but a reduction of symptoms and reduction of the plaques) is MG217 . The ointment is a major pain in the patootie for scalp application, but that's what I am currently using because that's what I found at the drug store when I was searching for an OTC remedy while traveling recently. There is a liquid form made specifially for the scalp, though, which I haven't tried.

Putting off going to the doctor about this recurrent problem is stupid on my part, because I know once I start on whatever medication he will prescribe, I will be so much better so much more quickly. I just always put this sort of thing off. But just typing about this just now gave me the push I needed to call and make an appointment for Friday morning. So I have to thank you for that.
Good for you! Natural remedies can be great complimentary therapy, but there's no substitute for a good physician and the right prescription.
Isn’t it a lovely store @DWinMadison, the lady and her husband is so lovely also. Good to know you love it as well.
Yes, very nice...especially to a newbie customer.

I have it on my scalp also plus small plaques on my body--I actually cut my hair very very short to be able to be easier to get stuff on it. I went and got a prescription from the dr that is doing nothing. I do have some ointment for my skin that works for awhile. after reading your post I am going to put some of that on my scalp thanks!!!!

I have it on my scalp also plus small plaques on my body--I actually cut my hair very very short to be able to be easier to get stuff on it. I went and got a prescription from the dr that is doing nothing. I do have some ointment for my skin that works for awhile. after reading your post I am going to put some of that on my scalp thanks!!!!
Maybe the AC soap would help along with your prescription. Probably wouldn’t hurt.

I really wouldn’t use soap on your hair (see numerous threads). I’m using Hask activated charcoal shampoo (commercial shampoo available int the US and Oz) atm and it is so good people have been asking what I’ve done with my hair. You could probably just add 1 tsp AC to a good shampoo and see if it works for you.

I have an auto immune disease and everything I eat and put on my skin can effect me. AC might be good but more importantly for people with skin problems is to use no additive like BHT which is in lard, no EDTA, nothing they are allergic to (I’m allergic to palm and coconut) and watch the FOs and EOs. I’m more allergic to EOs than FOs but DH (eczema) has no fragrance at all.

You really need to research the individual persons requirements if you want to offer them a useful solution. Every person’s skin is different even if they have the “same” condition.

I’m pretty sure AC draws out toxins from the skin but is not necessarily drying. I’ve certainly not found it to be but maybe my soap and shampoo is not drying.

Last edited:
I’m using Hask activated charcoal shampoo

I will have to check this out. I need to have multiple things to rotate in and out cuz nothing seems to work longer than a couple weeks at a time for me. hopefully with my hair real short the sun (if it ever coes out again) will help too. psoriasis is an autoimmune disease and a person with it can use anything, but it only gives relief, it doesn't heal it. but I am looking for some relief. I cant take the meds any more due to infections. the healing needs to come from within and I know I have been eating way to much sugar so I need to stop again. everybody has their own triggers and I think I have mine figured out after 60 years of this stuff but sometimes I go off rail with what I throw inside my body. I am my own worst enemy

It takes a lot to overwhelm me, but I'm officially just a gelatinous mass of indecision
@Daryl That made me laugh out loud! Been there; done that! Just remember your soapies need 6 weeks cure, so everything can fall into place during cure time.
Oh, and I gotta say, THIS ONE was the perfect co-pilot!
@Daryl Aw, what a cutie!
Shampoo Bar: My dear hubby had a favorite that made his white hair so pretty and shiny. Happy to share the recipe.
Hemp Oil: Not sure about hard bars, but it's great in LS. Back burner this one for another thread. And certainly, it is trending now.
@Marilyn, @Earlene
For psoriasis: Have you tried a salt bar? I watched a family friend rub rock salt into my mom's hands to cure her psoriasis. (I know! OUCH! :eek:) But it worked. Just a thought. I've made pine tar (20%) soap for customers at various times over the years and it just never helped their psoriasis much. But that's just my experience. I'll be watching to see if the AC soap works.

For scalp issues: I've recommended Polysorbate 80 to many people over the years, and it has a good track record for eliminating scalp crud. One soaper had a 3-year-old grandson that she had tried everything to correct the condition on his scalp. The Poly 80 worked!

Last edited:
For scalp issues: I've recommended Polysorbate 80 to m

oh good I am glad you re-posted this cuz I couldn't remember who did.. how is poly 80 used? do you add it to shampoo or use it alone, and how much etc--do you leave it on and if so for how long? thanks and a friend just sent me a salt bar and I am planning on trying it to see if it will work--its a shame to use it though cuz its so pretty but I still will

@Daryl That made me laugh out loud! Been there; done that! Just remember your soapies need 6 weeks cure, so everything can fall into place during cure time.
@Daryl Aw, what a cutie!
Shampoo Bar: My dear hubby had a favorite that made his white hair so pretty and shiny. Happy to share the recipe.
Hemp Oil: Not sure about hard bars, but it's great in LS. Back burner this one for another thread. And certainly, it is trending now.
@Marilyn, @Earlene
For psoriasis: Have you tried a salt bar? I watched a family friend rub rock salt into my mom's hands to cure her psoriasis. (I know! OUCH! :eek:) But it worked. Just a thought. I've made pine tar (20%) soap for customers at various times over the years and it just never helped their psoriasis much. But that's just my experience. I'll be watching to see if the AC soap works.

For scalp issues: I've recommended Polysorbate 80 to many people over the years, and it has a good track record for eliminating scalp crud. One soaper had a 3-year-old grandson that she had tried everything to correct the condition on his scalp. The Poly 80 worked!
Please share the recipe for the hubby’s shampoo bar! I’m sure it’s full of good ol’ “Jo-jo-bah” oil, but I want it anyway.

oh good I am glad you re-posted this cuz I couldn't remember who did.. how is poly 80 used?
Click on "Polysorbate 80" (link) in my post above and that should take you to the thread where it's mentioned. ;)
Please share the recipe for the hubby’s shampoo bar! I’m sure it’s full of good ol’ “Jo-jo-bah” oil, but I want it anyway.
Hahaha. Your wish is my command. Sent you a PM

Congratulations on your fun problem! I always find just 'getting-in-there' helps me past the daunting where to begin indecision.

You might want to start by using up that hemp oil. In case you haven't used it before... It doesn't have a very long shelf life. You might want to keep it in the fridge and hit it with some vitamin e (if you have any on hand). I like to use it in place of some OO or AO in a recipe. It can be prone to DOS, because it is so high in Linoleic acid... so I'd check I want to ensure that the sum of Linoleic and Linolenic is less than 15%.

I have used the poly80 and so far (twice) it seems to make little difference, in fact not much different that if I shampoo with plain old non-medicated shampoo. But I have to say the same for every OTC medicated shampoo I have tried as well. Home remedies and OTC remedies are just not doing the trick, which is why I am going back to my doctor. I should have done this 2 or 3 months ago!

I don't use bar soap on any part of my head, so no, have not tried salt soap. All my salt soaps are still too drying to my hands, anyway, but I don't have psoriasis anywhere but my scalp.

The shampoo my doctor prescribed for me in the past (with Selenium) worked fabulously to get rid of it and it did not return for a very long time, however I don't have any anymore. So I am seeing him again on Friday. However, it's much worse than it's ever been so I am hoping for some prednisone at least, and possibly something more specific (as well as the prescription shampoo.)

I have used the poly80 and so far (twice) it seems to make little difference, in fact not much different that if I shampoo with plain old non-medicated shampoo. But I have to say the same for every OTC medicated shampoo I have tried as well. Home remedies and OTC remedies are just not doing the trick, which is why I am going back to my doctor. I should have done this 2 or 3 months ago!

I don't use bar soap on any part of my head, so no, have not tried salt soap. All my salt soaps are still too drying to my hands, anyway, but I don't have psoriasis anywhere but my scalp.

The shampoo my doctor prescribed for me in the past (with Selenium) worked fabulously to get rid of it and it did not return for a very long time, however I don't have any anymore. So I am seeing him again on Friday. However, it's much worse than it's ever been so I am hoping for some prednisone at least, and possibly something more specific (as well as the prescription shampoo.)

good luck with getting something to help. have you ever tried taking extra vitamin D

Latest posts

Back