It seems my lye is pure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paragon

Reaction score
I assumed my lye was at least a couple percent impure, despite my buying it from a chemical shop and knowing that it didn't sit in a warehouse for a year. (Real estate is too expensive for warehousing chemicals around here.)

I did all my soap calculations assuming there would be an implicit 2.5% superfat. Today I titrated the lye with citric acid that had been carefully baked. I messed up the procedure a few times since I don't do a lot of chemistry, but I was extremely careful. I mixed powders with water immediately to limit water absorption from the air. I baked the CA in a thin layer on foil. I weighed everything subtractively so there was no chance for scale normalization or substance residue to reduce accuracy. I included the mixers and cups in all weighings. I was dismayed to find the lye was 99.6% pure.

It's been a long time since I did this type of math, but it seems there should be ±0.5% error due to the scale's limited precision when I measured the citric acid (about a gram). The other measurements, which were all ≥3 grams, don't contribute significantly to the error. I also assumed the citric acid was 99.5% pure. I wonder if that was a bad assumption, due to difficulty of removing all the water? The dehydration procedure was harder than I was led to believe, with the citric acid melting at the drop of a hat.

Moral of the experience: don't assume your lye is pure, but also don't assume it's not.

I'm happy to see there are other chemists in the soap making community :)
I'm strictly an amateur, but I try. :)

I'm gonna try making some kitchen knives too, so I have a gallon of canola oil for quenching the steel. It'll soon be contaminated with metal oxides, so I'm waiting for my EDTA to arrive. Without the chelating agent, hello DOS.

Latest posts

Back