It feels like xmas in August!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
So this week has felt like a holiday as packages of goodies kept arriving. My lye order came in, my FOs came in. Then my natural colorants powders came in today. I've been grinning like a dope all day as I decide what soapy adventure I will go on tonight or tomorrow! What a nice way to spend my bday weekend!

Oh... and I got indigo powder but I'm unsure if it's best to use by adding it to my lye water or adding it to the oils before adding lye solution. I've seen so many different options that I'm looking for suggestions from those who have used it.

I haven't used indigo so can't comment on that but, woohoo on all the goodies! You certainly have a fun filled weekend ahead of you. I LOVE getting new soapy toys to play with!

And Happy Birthday, Gigi!!!

Krista - I'm so excited to play with the new color options I'm like a little kid hahaha. And Ty for the bday wishes. It not til Sunday but I'm getting ready :)

Yay for the new goodies arriving! Love those days :)

Now, how many times a day did you track them as they made their way towards your doorstep? :lol: {Mine get tracked at least 3x a day}

I've never used Indigo, but have heard it stains, so someone who uses it will have to chime in cuz I got nada I can help with on that score.

And Happy Birthday for Sunday!

Jstar - yep like 3x a day til they got here hahahaha. I've used indigo, but for dying fabric, not making soap, so I'm hoping someone with more experience chimes in. And thanks for the early bday wishes! :)

Oh dude, its always fantastic to get in new packages, its like getting to open presents every time, especially with new FOs you haven't gotten a chance to smell yet

I haven't used indigo either sadly, although I've thought of adding it to my collection so I'll be watching to see what people say

Ty Susie :)
DragonGirl we will see what madness ensues with this indigo adventure lol

I know this feeling! I'm almost out of lye and a few base oils, so I'm excited to buy more stuff! I'm totally getting some colorants and new FOs with my order. Maybe even a wavy cutter!

Making soap is so much fun. I hope your next batches turn out beautifully! :-D

Happy birthday! I hope you enjoy your goodies!

I know this feeling! I'm almost out of lye and a few base oils, so I'm excited to buy more stuff! I'm totally getting some colorants and new FOs with my order. Maybe even a wavy cutter!

Making soap is so much fun. I hope your next batches turn out beautifully! :-D

You can get a wavy cutter that's actually pretty good at Michaels crafts for $8.99 and with their usual 40% off one item coupon, you can get it for $5.40 which is a pretty good price especially since you don't have to pay shipping.

Happy birthday!

I had my pheno and my sample mics waiting for me today :). I reallllly want to play with the micas now!

Post pics of your new toy results :)

I am glad you are excited about your micas, but that pheno... it does not tell you when your soap is safe. IF you search the forum for it you will see what most on the forum think about it.

I've never gotten a nice deep blue blue by adding the indigo to the oils, just a light grey denim blue.

Ty all I will surely post pics LOL...
Seawolfe - that's what I'm hoping to accomplish... we will see

Dissolve indigo completely in the water, add lye after indigo is dissolved.

Good luck and happy birthday!

The indigo doesn't dissolve, or at least what I have doesn't. It swelled up and rehydrated, and as I'm straining it, there is a very small amount that seems to have incorporated into the water. The rest bled a deep rich green blue, that once the lye hits it I'm sure will true up to the blue it's supposed to be. I'm letting it strain as we speak while I prep other stuff.

And Ty! :)

The indigo doesn't dissolve, or at least what I have doesn't. It swelled up and rehydrated, and as I'm straining it, there is a very small amount that seems to have incorporated into the water. The rest bled a deep rich green blue, that once the lye hits it I'm sure will true up to the blue it's supposed to be. I'm letting it strain as we speak while I prep other stuff.

And Ty! :)

You might have to grind it finer, sometimes i do mine with a mini mortar/pestle. Do not be surprised if the mix turns a baby poo yellow as you add the lye. It will be blue in the loaf eventually, you will see some weird color transitions.

Greensoap - lol I just added the lye and it sure did turn a peculiar blue green. All my lye solutions are cooling now, taking a smoke break before I melt oils and set to work :)

Back