Issues with my body lotion recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eli_07

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I need help with my body lotion recipe. The preservative that I am using is affecting the smell of my final product. I am using 1.5% of Optiphen Plus in my recipe. This is like my third batch of body lotion and it is happening that. Should I use Optiphen instead of Optiphen Plus? Am I using a lot of preservative in my body lotion? What is the best quantity I can use of Essential Oil to be able to scent my body lotion without a greasy feeling? Is there an unscented Optiphen?

Thank you for your help!

I quit using Optiphen for that reason; and because I wanted a more natural preservative. I switched to NataPres, and so far I've only used it in one batch (I make massage lotion). It's recommended 1.5% - 3% and I used the full 3%. I left a sample sit open overnight, then put it in my microbial test vial. It came back negative, so I'm very happy with it so far. The best part? NO odor. :) Give it a try. http://www.lotioncrafter.com/natapres_preservative.html

lsg>> thank you for your recommendation. I will definitely give it a try. :)

sbfarm>>> NataPres, this one sounds like an interesting and more 'natural' option and it says will not impart any additional color or odors to your formulation. Thank you for this recommendation, I had never heard of this preservative before. :idea:

My question will be if the shelf life is going to be the same as a regular preservative.

Latest posts

Back