Issues with bath bombs.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizayle

Reaction score
I've been having a variety of issues with bath bombs. I finally got the fragrance and color right but they change shape or turn to powder.

1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup corn starch
1/3 cup espsom salt

A little water
2 tbsp fragrance
10 drops of food coloring
Witch Hazel to come to damp sand stage

The first one I put too much witch Hazel in they are now stuck in their shells

The second ones are egg shaped

The 3rd ones turned out the best but they're still cracking

The 4th one which I added less than 1/4 of cup ground up with the Epsom Salts won't keep form at all. They keep powdering .

I've never had good luck with using witch hazel or water to dampen mine. I actually use hard oils (normally mango butter, but sometimes CO). It makes a very durable bomb. I put in a bit of poly to emulsify the oils once they hit the bathwater. Using those, I can actually unmold in under a minute.

Hopefully someone with good success using just witch hazel will chime in with his/her secrets.

I used melted shea in one of my bombs but it took the fizz out of it, I was so upset.

I use a bit of oil in mine as well. You should not lose fizz because of the butter or oil- the citric acid should not react with it, however you may have added too much witch hazel which will take the fizz out.

Back