ISO recipe for sun burn relief lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Don't worry, this is for personal use, not for sale! I didn't wear sunscreen this weekend and now I'm regretting it.

I want to include shea butter, avocado oil, emu oil, Vit E and use aloe vera juice for my liquid. Anybody got a recipe? Will the heat of the lotion kill the benefits of the aloe vera? Maybe a few drops of lavender EO?

I don't have a recipe for a sunburn relief lotion, but what I like to do for sunburns, or any kind of minor burn, is to apply fresh aloe vera gel (straight from the leaf) directly onto the burn. If the burnt skin is feeling especially dry, I'll squirt out a little of my favorite already-made lotion into the palm of my hand and mix some fresh aloe into it, and then immediately smear that onto the burnt skin.

I keep a live aloe plant in my home at all times for such things. There's nothing like the fresh leaf if you ask me. I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed that heating it would degrade some or all of the healing goodness from the raw leaf, so that's why I do the above.

IrishLass :)

Honestly, one of the best things I've found for sunburn relief (for myself) was (almost) straight aloe vera gel. I killed my aloe plant so I got a bottle of the Lily of the Desert AVG which does have citric acid as an additive. I just slathered that on myself. I added a few drops of lavender and tea tree EO's and it seemed to do wonders for me. Straight from the fridge feels amazing! A little chilly but super cooling on that fresh sunburn. Then after the heat and redness has subsided after a day or 2, try a butter or lotion with the ingredients listed above. I would be afraid that the heat would in fact kill the benefits of the AVG.

I do remember reading somewhere that the latex in AVG might actually slow down healing of sunburn as it may seal in the heat instead of letting it out. I've never had that problem though.

Sorry if my response doesn't fully answer your question, maybe someone will come along with a better answer or a recipe to suit your needs 100% :) I figured I could atleast swing by and offer my advice/experience since you hadn't gotten any responses. Take care and good luck!

This will sound bizarre but I use yellow mustard. Slather on a thin layer and let it dry part way, then rinse in a cool shower.

I wonder if you could emulsify aloe with a liquid oil using polysorbate 20 and skip the heating step? It would be different then regular lotion but that way the aloe would remain undamaged. I'd make a small amount and keep it in the fridge.

I'd also go for straight aloe leaf if you can find it. A little oatmeal in a lukewarm bath is also nice especially when you get to the itchy peeling stage.

Along the mustard lines, I tried soy sauce on the last sunburn. Actually helped! Aloe is always sticky... but it does help with peeling.

Do u guys know what home made Kefir is (using the kefir grains) put it on if you have it, not the one from the store. It is very old way of dealing with sunburn. Somehow the bacteria in it and the milk helps a lot. I am from generation of tanning on the beech and went through it countless times. Which is not good of course, but no one knew at that time how damaging sunbathing can be.

Another (none aloe) suggestion here....but try sesame seed oil. After trying it when I accidentally burnt myself, I understood why it's in a lot of burn relief ointments.

It also offers me relief from sunburns, which I seem to get no matter what I do.

Last edited:
Back