ISO Aleppo Massage/Lotion Bar Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alsobia

Reaction score
Hi there!
I was looking on Etsy and spotted somebody selling Aleppo Lotion Bar!
Does anyone have a recipe to share or can I purchase the recipe somewhere?

Thank u!!

So I had a look at the easy listing and they are using three ingredients - Olive Oil, Laurel Berry Oil & Soy Wax.

When you look at label that's been incorrectly written as it's not as International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) you notice that the first ingredient is soy wax (as it's the main ingredient), then olive and lastly laurel berry.

From the colour I very much doubt there is very much Lauris Nobilis Fruit Oil. It's listed as the third ingredient. I don't have any laurel berry oil on hand, I have some on backorder so I can't test this but I will when my order arrives.

I've made Aleppo soap with Lauris Nobilis (laurel berry) Fruit Oil being 20-30% of the recipe, the balance of the oil being olive as they complement each other with that smell. it's being sold at $23 for 50g and $57 for 225g. 1 litre of laurel berry oil is around $120. So $12 per 100mls.

Lotion bars are usually based on a very simple formula: 33% waxes 33٪ butters 33% oils and 1% Fragrance. They can be altered in a number of ways.

This bar though has 3 ingredients and both emollients are liquid oils. It is likely they are using 50% wax and 50% oil.

50% Soywax
30-40% Olive oil
10-20% Laurel Berry oil
As said the colour makes me suspicious of the amount of laurel berry used.

I am going to suggest if you want to use the same ingredients to use 30% olive 20% laurel and 50% soy wax.
I'd add some tocopheryl to help with oxidisation.

I would also swap the soy wax for beeswax, carnauba wax or candielĺa wax or a combination of waxes.

Does this help?

Beeswax is much harder than soy wax, and candelilla and carnauba are even harder. They are definitely not even swaps.
Yes, I know. I use 60 % for candelilla and 80% carnauba. And if you read correctly I actually explained the normal percentage and that you need a lot more soywax. Personally, I used candelilla, carnuaba, berry and a few different esters. And if you were doing a swap for this actually if you swapped the soy wax for candelilla wax at 35% with liquid oils like this one uses it would work really well..

So I had a look at the easy listing and they are using three ingredients - Olive Oil, Laurel Berry Oil & Soy Wax.

When you look at label that's been incorrectly written as it's not as International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) you notice that the first ingredient is soy wax (as it's the main ingredient), then olive and lastly laurel berry.

From the colour I very much doubt there is very much Lauris Nobilis Fruit Oil. It's listed as the third ingredient. I don't have any laurel berry oil on hand, I have some on backorder so I can't test this but I will when my order arrives.

I've made Aleppo soap with Lauris Nobilis (laurel berry) Fruit Oil being 20-30% of the recipe, the balance of the oil being olive as they complement each other with that smell. it's being sold at $23 for 50g and $57 for 225g. 1 litre of laurel berry oil is around $120. So $12 per 100mls.

Lotion bars are usually based on a very simple formula: 33% waxes 33٪ butters 33% oils and 1% Fragrance. They can be altered in a number of ways.

This bar though has 3 ingredients and both emollients are liquid oils. It is likely they are using 50% wax and 50% oil.

50% Soywax
30-40% Olive oil
10-20% Laurel Berry oil
As said the colour makes me suspicious of the amount of laurel berry used.

I am going to suggest if you want to use the same ingredients to use 30% olive 20% laurel and 50% soy wax.
I'd add some tocopheryl to help with oxidisation.

I would also swap the soy wax for beeswax, carnauba wax or candielĺa wax or a combination of waxes.

Does this help?
Sorry I never gotan email saying I had a reply.....this is a little beyond me...just a beginner...thank u for your response...it isvery much appreciated.

Yes, I know. I use 60 % for candelilla and 80% carnauba. And if you read correctly I actually explained the normal percentage and that you need a lot more soywax. Personally, I used candelilla, carnuaba, berry and a few different esters. And if you were doing a swap for this actually if you swapped the soy wax for candelilla wax at 35% with liquid oils like this one uses it would work really well..
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical. You did say that a typical wax amount was 33%, and that you recommended 50% soywax. But then you said,

"I would also swap the soy wax for beeswax, carnauba wax or candielĺa wax or a combination of waxes."

For someone like you or I who is used to formulating, we would know not to make an exact swap. For someone like the OP who is a beginner, or others reading the thread in the future, the issue of different hardnesses of waxes wasn't actually stated your response at all.

Again, I'm not trying to be critical. Other members here often clarify my posts with additional information. I'm always grateful because we all read and learn differently. Better too much info than not enough, right? :)

I'm a sucker for all things bee-related so i'd attempt sticking with beeswax by lowering the percentage of wax and upping the percentage of olive & maybe adding some shea until I find the exact hardness in my bar that I want

I'm just dyin' to make some Aleppo tribute soap.
I learned about this recipe only recently and fail to understand why it wouldn't be better w some aloe, beeswax, & 10% shea butter in it

laurel berry oil must be some stinky stuff if we're seriously not supposed to use any scent to Aleppo soap
it's not that terribly expensive
i priced it and 20 lbs of Aleppo soap w/ 30% laurel berry oil in it would cost me just under $175, but that's without any scent, beeswax, or aloe

I considered trying to source the olive oil in this recipe from Syria Home - Zeno Olive Oil Syria ,but unsure if I would be breaking sanctions and getting myself in trouble- they even sell pomace oil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back