Is Titanium dioxide natural?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends whom you ask. TiO₂ does occur as natural minerals (rutile, anatase, …). But pigment-grade TD is made in a complicated industrial process. Chemically, these are indistinguishable, but so is the CO₂ we breathe out and the CO₂ from coal-fired power plants, or that liberated during lime burning.

However, if you really worry about green labelling, you're lost anyway, since lye (NaOH/KOH) is about as industrial as TiO₂, and absolutely indispensable with soapmaking. Or, turned the other way round: if you accept lye as a “natural” ingredient, you can unconditionally accept TiO₂ as one too.

Depends whom you ask. TiO₂ does occur as natural minerals (rutile, anatase, …). But pigment-grade TD is made in a complicated industrial process. Chemically, these are indistinguishable, but so is the CO₂ we breathe out and the CO₂ from coal-fired power plants, or that liberated during lime burning.

However, if you really worry about green labelling, you're lost anyway, since lye (NaOH/KOH) is about as industrial as TiO₂, and absolutely indispensable with soapmaking. Or, turned the other way round: if you accept lye as a “natural” ingredient, you can unconditionally accept TiO₂ as one too.
However, once the saponification process is complete, there is no NaOH or KOH remaining in the soap, as long as you're using the recommended SF

Yes. But there is more to an ingredient than it itself. For one, the ecological footprint doesn't disappear with further reactions. Questionable working conditions, water pollution, consumption of electrical energy… I don't know the numbers, but I'd guess that NaOH is not fundamentally better than TiO₂ in this respect, and we need a lot more of it.

Safety in the sense of aggressive behaviour in the final product is, of course, a totally different topic. Like @lsg has linked, TD is agreed on to be quite safe in this respect. Yet, “safety” and being “natural” aren't the same. I would consider synthetic asorbic acid or urea as safe, but natural sulphuric acid (as boiling in Indonesian volcano lakes), asbestos or uranium ore not so much (these are extreme examples).

Hi, Is titanium dioxide considered a natural substance?
It depends on where you are, whether or not it is allowed and accepted by regulations as natural and for what use it is being added to a product (type of product).

For example in the US is considered safe to add to foods, whereas in France, it is banned for use as a food additive.

To be used in soap & cosmetics, colorants and other additives must be pre-approved in many countries. TD is not always used only as a colorant.

If you are asking related to 'Labeling' that also depends on where you are. It may or may not be highly regulated, depending on locale. In some cases a small percentage of not-natural ingredients are allowed and it can still be called natural, just like using 'Organic' labeling. But again, that depends on what the product is. In the US, it pertains to food only at this point and is regulated by the USDA.

I know that doesn't answer the OP's question, but it does pertain to whether or not TD may or may not be allowed where they live, make or plan to sell.

And I believe that one has to make their own decision on whether or not to believe that a synthetically made naturally occurring substance is still considered natural. To some people it is; to others it is not. But if your country or governing municipality has a legal definition of what that answer would be, then that is what you would have to go by, unless selling in another location that has a different legal definition.

Latest posts

Back