Is this weird?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmtree

Reaction score
So I'm checking out who is going to be at my next big show and this soap company claims that their goat milk soaps aren't oil based which makes them better for the environment and better for you yada yada... What does this mean? Is this more soap propaganda??

Not oil based? I'd want to see an ingredients list. Detergents maybe? Or perhaps they are stretching and use a butter base - although I would still say it is an oil. Maybe they use lard or tallow and call it a fat base? Can't be sure without the list but I would say they are splitting hairs.

I am suspecting MP also, with the same type of vendor that says their soap uses no lye, and is therefore safer...

I am not saying anything bad about MP, just about uneducated vendors.

MP soap??? I've seen some people adding the milk(even fresh milk!) in MP soap.

But isn't MP made with oils(coconut, palm,etc) too?

It is.

It is also made with lye, which is why Susie mentioned one of the other things that is often attributed to M&P soap incorrectly.

I take it that they don't have an ingredients list?

TEG is entirely correct. MP is at some point made with lye and oils. If it is soap. No promises on how synthetic detergent bars are made.

This is a symptom of a larger problem in the US(and perhaps other countries?). People have lost sight of where their food comes from and how things are made. There are even people(adults!) who advise others to buy meat and veggies from the grocery store so no animals have to be killed, and the veggies haven't been in the dirt. I don't really know what the answer is, but it is truly sad.

Buzz... buzz... buzzzz... sounds like some new bandwagon we're all supposed to jump on. "oil free soap". I'd really like to know more.

Maybe they are only selling milk and they are confused :-D. They have so much they just fill up a tub to bathe in and call it soap. Anyways, why would anyone want "oil free soap" and how can this be better for the environment? Maybe they are saying it's petroleum free?

TEG is entirely correct. MP is at some point made with lye and oils. If it is soap. No promises on how synthetic detergent bars are made.

This is a symptom of a larger problem in the US(and perhaps other countries?). People have lost sight of where their food comes from and how things are made. There are even people(adults!) who advise others to buy meat and veggies from the grocery store so no animals have to be killed, and the veggies haven't been in the dirt. I don't really know what the answer is, but it is truly sad.

One time a friend of mine was riding through a beef farming area with a group of his friends, and the new girlfriend of one of the guys said, "Eww, why don't they just buy meat at the store?"

One time a friend of mine was riding through a beef farming area with a group of his friends, and the new girlfriend of one of the guys said, "Eww, why don't they just buy meat at the store?"

. . . And that boys ( men) is why you should look for more than just a pretty face!! So sad really, and a sad reflection on her parents.

LMAO!! I'm going to go back and check if they list ingredients. I was so irritated by that statement that I left their website to come here and post the question. What frustrates me is that these kinds of people make handcrafted and wonderful for your skin soap seem subpar or bad for your skin. It really ticks me off!!

Ok so apparently their ingredients are only eo/fo goats milk and lard.

Ok so apparently their ingredients are only eo/fo goats milk and lard.

Lard is oil, its just highly saturated. Milk has oil in it as well, seems a stretch saying it's oil free. And still, why is this better for the environment than vegi oils?

*Edit: Synthetic meats are being fine tuned, maybe milk and oils will be as well. I'm not for or against this really, but I do think nature has so many micro level things going on that I'll stick with what nature makes.
Lab grown meat
Almost like a burger!

Lol, thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:

sad as it is, we raised a goat for food. we had many friends and acquaintances ask this question. people don't grow or make their food and supplies anymore, so how are they to know where things come from??

and yes, I think it's sad. I really dislike people perpetuating the misinformation of the masses and make jobs harder for those "in the know" to try to educate everybody. sigh.

Back