Is this stuff OK for pull-through method?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw a you tube video of that funny German woman and she used a plastic matting which the lye virtually dissolved as she was trying to pull it though.
This stuff is sold as PVC non-slip matting for drawers etc, and is dishwasher/washing machine safe. I thought it would be good to cut shapes into and use as a pull-through for a slab mold.
Can anyone advise?
Photo on 7-07-19 at 10.07 AM.jpg Photo on 7-07-19 at 10.07 AM #2.jpg

I think you are talking about Marie Nadeau’s video. The mat she used was some kind of plastic that the lye destroyed. The PVC material may be okay to use, but I would test it. If you are planning to make soap not using the mat, put a little batter on it and let it sit for awhile. If it stays intact you should be good to go. I’d let it sit for 15-20 minutes, or however long you think you will need for pouring, plus a litt extra time for good measure.

I use PVC non-slip mats for covering my soap airing racks and have not seen any ill effects so far (I'm 99% sure I saw PVC as an acceptable material for working with soap which was why I chose it), but @dibbles provides sound advice as always :) Can't wait to see what you create next!

PVC is resistant to alkalis (lye), but it's not ideal for situations where the PVC gets much above room temp -- it can soften, deform and stretch with heat. I think it would be fine for your purpose, but Dibbles has a good suggestion to test it.

Since you are Down Under from me I am not sure if it is the same as we have here.

Our Liners for Drawers is kind of like a Foam mat. You can pinch it and is squishes.
If that is the same I would say Don't.
If it is Flat and Hard plastic give it s shot :)

Latest posts

Back