Is this soap safe to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a large batch of soap and poured in a 5kg mould. My current SB almost fully submerged into the mixing pot so I used a whisk in one hand and SB the other to mix and blend alternatively.
I suspect some of the oils at the bottom didnt fully incorporate with the lye (?). A few of the bars have this huge swirl. Can anyone confirm if its indeed a mixing issue and if its okay to use? Or is there a chance that it may be lye pockets/lye heavy?

(This is a basic bar including kokum butter, essential oils - lemongrass, tea tree, eucalyptus and aloe powder)

Attachments

• 5A880D7A-7FBA-4186-96AE-D863BB5875B9.jpeg
    5A880D7A-7FBA-4186-96AE-D863BB5875B9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
To me, the white parts remind me of when kaolin clay wasn't fully mixed. Since you don't list anything like that, could it be that the aloe powder didn't mix in well? Did you premix the aloe powder with anything, or dump it into the batter dry?

To me, the white parts remind me of when kaolin clay wasn't fully mixed. Since you don't list anything like that, could it be that the aloe powder didn't mix in well? Did you premix the aloe powder with anything, or dump it into the batter dry?
I suspected aloe powder but the powder is brown. This feels like its the lower bit in the batter that hasn’t mixed fully with the lye. Dug out a bit of the white bit and it looks like regular soap without the aloe.
Is there such a thing as partial saponification? 😅 I’m trying to understand what happens with the poorly mixed bit in the batter. Does that become superfat or is it partially soap so it can be overlooked? Please feel free to geek out on this!

Did you use any citric acid, salt, or sugar? If so, they might have formed that powdery-crystal-ish look from not being fully mixed into the batter.

If not, then I agree with @artemis that it is likely some aloe powder that didn't fully mix into the soap - but is mixed enough that it is still kind of "soap-like." Whatever it is, as long as it isn't zappy, it's a cosmetic issue, and the soap is fine.

The soap should be safe to use after the 4-6 week aging period.
If you are selling it, just don't sell the bars that are weird looking, or cut them up into small sample pieces leaving out the blemished areas.
If you are keeping it for personal use, just save the blemished pieces for bathing the dog, cat, rabbit, goat, or husband...

Latest posts

Back