Is this soap good?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasperlove21

Reaction score
Hey guys, am new to soap making and this is a recipe that i want to make. Please can you help me know if it's good to use. I added cinnamon, turmeric and vitamin e oil as superfat

Attachments

• View_Print Recipe 2.pdf
    26.9 KB · Views: 64
Hello and welcome! Unfortunately, no it's not a good recipe. Will it clean, yes. It's going to need a really long cure and it's going to be very prone (soybean oil)to rancidity. You would be better off to make a more balance soap or even 100% OO (which requires a really long cure as well). If you tell us what oils etc you have available we would be happy to help you.

I agree with above for the high percentage of soybean oil - however I have had excellent results with 30% or lower soybean oil for good shelf life. I would also not use 25% sunflower unless you know it is HO Sunflower. I've had problems with anything over 15 or 20% going bad very quickly. A search on the forum will steer you in a good direction as there are many good beginner recipes that have been shared.

As a newbie myself, I'd be interested to know why you chose those two oils? Perhaps because they are cheap and readily available? In that case, maybe some lard or tallow, or both could be added? Revealing your thinking might help the pundits help you further.

Also "I added vitamin e as superfat" is a bit confusing. Are you making hot process soap? If cold process, then you can't specify which oil will be "super", but on top of that, you already have 5% superfat from your soy and sunflower oils so adding more will be quite oily.

Hello and welcome! Unfortunately, no it's not a good recipe. Will it clean, yes. It's going to need a really long cure and it's going to be very prone (soybean oil)to rancidity. You would be better off to make a more balance soap or even 100% OO (which requires a really long cure as well). If you tell us what oils etc you have available we would be happy to help you.
Currently, i have coconut oil, olive oil, red palm oil, soybean oil and sunflower oil.

It is also a very high percentage of water (low lye con concentration) so you will risk separation. I agree with Shari it is not a nice recipe and will be quite prone to DOS.
Please what is DOS

As a newbie myself, I'd be interested to know why you chose those two oils? Perhaps because they are cheap and readily available? In that case, maybe some lard or tallow, or both could be added? Revealing your thinking might help the pundits help you further.

Also "I added vitamin e as superfat" is a bit confusing. Are you making hot process soap? If cold process, then you can't specify which oil will be "super", but on top of that, you already have 5% superfat from your soy and sunflower oils so adding more will be quite oily.
I added a little Vitamin E oil after mixing the soap to a trace

Last edited by a moderator:
@jasperlove21 You would be better off using Olive Oil and Coconut or Sunflower if it's High Oleic. DOS is Dreaded Orange Spots also known as rancidity. You could do 80% Olive or HO Sunflower and 20% Coconut. It will need a relatively long cure but would be a usable soap. I would avoid the soybean oil unless using it at a very low percentage. Another soap you could make is 80% Coconut & 20% Olive with a 20% Superfat. It's not a bad soap. You could also add 30-100% weight in salt to the CO soap at trace and give it a long cure. It would be a salt soap (I personal love them). You could also use a little red palm in a recipe but you'll have yellow soap.

I recently tried using red palm oil. I did a search on this forum and high percentages will yield orange lather. I did 5% and found it was PLENTY and created a nice yellow. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for everything guys, I'll try my next batch soon and after the curing I'll give info on how it turned out.

In addition to the good advice given above, forget the vitamin E at trace, it won't achieve anything as it will just be saponified along with the rest. Unfortunately you cannot control superfat in cold process soap. Save the vitamin E for leave in products like lotions

Latest posts

Back