Is this soap base organic ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athena2121

Reaction score
Soap Making Shea Butter Soap by ArtMinds ( from Micheal's)

Is this soap base organic or no ? I would like to use it but I don't know ifs organic. Or if I have to use lye ?

Difficult to tell from the name alone. Do you have a link and/or an ingredient list? Typical ingredients that are difficult/impossible to source from organic agriculture are propylene glycol, sorbitol, and syndets (SLS, coco-betaine etc.).

When you use Melt&Pour base, you never have to use lye. However, lye is exempt from organic certification, so it is actually quite easy to make all-organic soap by yourself (cold process), by using organic oils.

It also depends on the purpose of why you want to have organic soap. If you want to sell it as organic, then it is a legal question, that you will have to clarify within your local jurisdiction.

it’s a detergent only, not made with lye. Definitely not organic. Contains preservatives and SLS, which is one of the more harsh surfactants, but not the harshest.

Its a finished product, ready to use. Detergent bars are different from true soap. Soap requires oils/ fats that are saponification with lye causing a chemical reaction. The end product becomes a salt of fatty acids (soap) product and no longer contains lye.

Does it have the organic stamp?

Attachments

• D7816ECA-7AF0-46CA-80C1-E6D010C548BD.jpeg
    D7816ECA-7AF0-46CA-80C1-E6D010C548BD.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 9
I don't see it , but I looked into Stephenson Crystal soap base , is that USDA organic? I don't see the symbol at all ... also is crystal soap base the same as shea butter ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220115-220515_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220115-220515_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I don't see it , but I looked into Stephenson Crystal soap base , is that USDA organic? I don't see the symbol at all ... also is crystal soap base the same as shea butter ?
If it doesn't say so on the container, then it's not.
Personally want to make organic soaps for my family and friends, ( not to sell) .
Questions like this are best asked of the vendor where you buy your products. ;)

I would like melt and pour.
And thank you for your responses.

I am currently trying to find affordable organic shea butter. Do you know Anywhere I can look ?

I am currently trying to find affordable organic shea butter. Do you know Anywhere I can look ?

I would post on the melt and pour forum for suggestions on a quality, gentle M&P base. I don't use organic butters and I don't know where you live so I'm afraid I can't help you with that either. You can try searching the forum or ask in a separate thread.

Hope

The only organic (with the stamp lol) shea butter I'm aware of that for sure ships where you are is Baraka.

Quite costly though, even here, compared to other suppliers. Not sure there. But they claim also to be community sourced and fair trade. Worth a look.

You have two different products…Shea Butter and Melt & Pour. You can use Shea Butter (but I wouldn’t use that) in Cold or Hot Process Soap, Body Butters, Lotion Bars and Lotions, but you cannot use it in Melt & Pour. Melt & Pour is pre-made soap. It contains extra ingredients so it can be heated, turned into a liquid for a short time and then hardened again. You cannot add oils or butters to M&P, but you can add mica, scent and botanicals.

BrambleBerry carries a a lot of different M&P Bases: Melt and Pour Soap Making Bases | Bramble Berry

Soap Making Shea Butter Soap by ArtMinds ( from Micheal's)

Is this soap base organic or no ? I would like to use it but I don't know ifs organic. Or if I have to use lye ?
No.
The ingredient before Shea butter is Sodium Laurel Sulfate (that means theres more SLS than Shea)
If your family is in need of organic/sensitive to harsh surfactants ... SLS is not the ingredient you want on the organic list

1642337108778.png

The only organic (with the stamp lol) shea butter I'm aware of that for sure ships where you are is Baraka.

Quite costly though, even here, compared to other suppliers. Not sure there. But they claim also to be community sourced and fair trade. Worth a look.
This sounds interesting ...
and would require that you learn how to make soap
(its a wonderful thing ... try it some time ;))

Melt & Pour is pre-made soap. It contains extra ingredients so it can be heated, turned into a liquid for a short time and then hardened again. You cannot add oils or butters to M&P, but you can add mica, scent and botanicals.

Not true. You can add 1-2 TBSp of oils/butters per pound of M&P base. Some people like their product better with this addition while others don't. But it's an accepted practice.

Hope

I would like melt and pour.
And thank you for your responses.

Are you trying to find a melt and pour base with shea butter, or are you looking for just shea butter? I use Baraka. There are many different brands. If you are looking for a melt and pour base, you might get more answers in the melt and pour forum.

Latest posts

Back