Is this ricing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve been making soap for a year, and this is the first time I’ve encountered this. The soap looked beautiful when I first cut it. I was super happy with the pinky peach color as it was exactly the color I hoped, and the scent was amazing! However, when I went back to admire them a couple days later, I noticed these spots.

Edit: I didn’t notice any issues in the texture when blending my lye and oils together.

This is the recipe I created and have used many times before:
Coconut Oil - 25%
Olive Oil - 25%
Palm Oil - 20%
Kokum Butter - 15%
Hemp Oil - 10%
Castor Oil - 5%
for a total of 20oz of oils.
My liquid to lye ratio was 2:1. (5.64:2.82) My fragrance was Wooden Wick’s Primrose + Apricot at 0.6oz.

This is the first time I’ve seen this from this recipe, which makes me lean towards it being my FO. Thoughts?
1738B532-FC7A-46A7-B3CF-D247B87B8F34.jpeg05A3E8B1-5AC5-4C53-ACAE-585BC0DF5A4E.jpegCAFB0FCE-A0CE-4860-BB7A-812DA2EB6E3D.jpeg
- Apologies for the weird rotation, blaming my phone

Last edited:
Ricing is a lumpy texture that occurs when mixing; little separated lumps look like grains of rice (hence the name).

I agree with Misschief that this looks like spots of unmixed FO.

I've gotten something like this when I absentmindedly forgot the FO, added it at the very last possible second, and in my hurry didn't mix it in as well as I should have.

Annoying, isn't it?

That's why I like to add FO to my oils before I add the lye solution. Sometimes the FO is naughty and has to be added last thing, but if it's well behaved, it goes in right away.

I've gotten something like this when I absentmindedly forgot the FO, added it at the very last possible second, and in my hurry didn't mix it in as well as I should have.

Annoying, isn't it?

That's why I like to add FO to my oils before I add the lye solution. Sometimes the FO is naughty and has to be added last thing, but if it's well behaved, it goes in right away.

I think I will give that a go next time and see how it works out. I’ve read a few posts here where people add the FO to the oils, and I’ve been curious about it.

Back