Is this ricing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibi-soap

Reaction score
Hi,
I just umolded yesterday's batch and got this., Is it ricing? And can I do anything about it?

Attachments

• IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 48
Did you use any additives? That might cause it. Looks like stearic sports or air bubbles or something maybe? Ricing is usually a stage you would see when blending - it looks like a rice pudding kind of thing - kinda curdled.

It looks like stearic spots. If you post your recipe we would be able to help more. You may have soaped too cool. Ricing you would see in your pot/bowl before pouring.

Thanks @KiwiMoose and @shunt2011 . I could well have soaped too cold (the plumber arrived the moment I'd finished stirring the lye into the water).
I added salt and sugar and, actually, I usually add those to the water, but this time I only remembered as I was adding the oils and flung them in then. Would that be the problem?
And is the soap usable?

recipe was
62% Olive oil
22% Coocnut
12% Cocoa Butter
4% Castor oil
SF6% Water 31%

And in 1048g of oil I added 2tsp each of salt and sugar

Thanks @KiwiMoose and @shunt2011 . I could well have soaped too cold (the plumber arrived the moment I'd finished stirring the lye into the water).
I added salt and sugar and, actually, I usually add those to the water, but this time I only remembered as I was adding the oils and flung them in then. Would that be the problem?
And is the soap usable?

recipe was
62% Olive oil
22% Coocnut
12% Cocoa Butter
4% Castor oil
SF6% Water 31%

And in 1048g of oil I added 2tsp each of salt and sugar
That’s likely the problem. They won’t dissolve in the soap mixed with oils.

I think your soap will still be fine to use though - just check for zap to ensure it's ok. AT worst - it might taste a bit salty sweet :) Popcorn soap!
Wah! So much to learn! What a silly billy I am. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back