Is this okay for 1st time soaping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethanperine@gmail

Reaction score
40% Olive Oil
30% Coconut Oil
20% Palm Oil
5% Sweet Almond Oil
5% Castor Oil
5% Superfat
38% Water
1 Ounce Bubble Gum Frag.
1/2 Ounce Vanilla Stabilizer

Would this make a good 1st soap recipe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would try something like this instead

40% palm
25% olive
20% coconut
10% almond
5% castor

5% SF
change the water setting to lye concentration and use 33%

amount of fragrance depends on how big your soap batch is. For a 1 lb batch 1/2 oz to 1 oz FO is good. Follow directions for your stabilizer.

40% palm
25% olive
20% coconut
10% almond
5% castor

5% SF

amount of fragrance depends on how big your soap batch is. For a 1 lb batch 1/2 oz to 1 oz FO is good. Follow directions for your stabilizer.

Obsidian recommendations are good. If you want to simplify, you can go with one oleic oil. I prefer almond but olive is fine too.

Thanks I will try this. I have been forever trying to figure out a good recipe there are so many different ones on youtube. I have been ordering almost everything I see probably will end up with stuff I will never use .

40% palm
25% olive
20% coconut
10% almond
5% castor

5% SF

Ok I ran that thru the soap calc does this mean I will use 9.11 ounces of water and 4.49 ounces of lye. Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure it turns out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190103-160530.png
    Screenshot_20190103-160530.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 29
I cannot claim expertise...except perhaps at soap mess-ups … but the oil combo looks nice to me. Some people may prefer less coconut oil (it cleans really well, but can sometimes make sensitive-skin folk a little irritated), perhaps with a little more castor oil (bubbles, bubbles, bubbles) or something.

IDK about vanilla stabiliser, but vanilla doesn't seem to work in CP soaps nearly as nicely as it should :-(
Bubble gum fragrance will win me over anytime though :) Usually fragrances have usage amount recommendations … so many mg (or ounces if you're into that sort of thing) per kg (or pound). Your "1 ounce" may be fine for some batch sizes but not others. The fragrances I have used vary from 1% to 3.5% recommended, so 1 ounce would be okay for a 100oz (6.25lb?) - 26oz (1.75lb?) batch, depending.

Good luck with your first batch. Please do post pictures of your results.

[edit: Ooops. I was not shown the other comments when I saw your thread. My thoughts stand, but I bow to the heaps-more-experience comments above:) ]

I cannot claim expertise...except perhaps at soap mess-ups … but the oil combo looks nice to me. Some people may prefer less coconut oil (it cleans really well, but can sometimes make sensitive-skin folk a little irritated), perhaps with a little more castor oil (bubbles, bubbles, bubbles) or something.

IDK about vanilla stabiliser, but vanilla doesn't seem to work in CP soaps nearly as nicely as it should :-(
Bubble gum fragrance will win me over anytime though :) Usually fragrances have usage amount recommendations … so many mg (or ounces if you're into that sort of thing) per kg (or pound). Your "1 ounce" may be fine for some batch sizes but not others. The fragrances I have used vary from 1% to 3.5% recommended, so 1 ounce would be okay for a 100oz (6.25lb?) - 26oz (1.75lb?) batch, depending.

[edit: Ooops. I was not shown the other comments when I saw your thread. My thoughts stand, but I bow to the heaps-more-experience comments above:) ]
I thank everyone for all advice. I will definitely post a pic (If it looks alright) .☺☺

What temp does everyone wait for their lyes and oils to be before they start mixing?

Last edited:
I live in a warm/hot area, with mostly high humidity, and after melting my hard oils, I usually let them cool to room temp and, because of illness, I do my lye solution the night before, so everything is at least 75°F or so by the time I'm ready to soap.
Be aware that soap batters with a around 50% palm oil will trace faster than one with a similar amount of olive. If you get a fragrance that misbehaves, that means you'll have so much less time with a fluid batter.
Finally, even if your soap looks like someone stepped on it, post pics. Every soap deserves its day in the sun!

Attachments

• 20190104_033947_resized_1.jpg
    20190104_033947_resized_1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 20
Back