Is this OK?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibi-soap

Reaction score
Hi Pundits,
I'm in the midst of making my Christmas soap. Batch 1 went pretty well, but batch 2, which was exactly the same recipe, but I forgot to put the salt and sugar in, behaved very differently.
It took forever to come to trace, and in the end, I put it in the molds at quite a light trace.
When I peeked under the towel keeping it warm, it looked completely gelled, whereas the first batch didn't gel around the edges (I think).

It was much stickier and softer when I unmolded it the next day and now, as you can see from the picture it is still soft with a greasy layer and a sort of translucent aspect to it.
Will it be OK, or should I ditch it?
First batch is on the left, second on the right.
View media item 2614

open

Last edited:
Hm, somehow I cannot see the picture.
Salt is known to accelerate a little bit, so the lack of salt could be responsible for slower trace. Not sure about the others since I cannot see the photo.

Hm, somehow I cannot see the picture.
Salt is known to accelerate a little bit, so the lack of salt could be responsible for slower trace. Not sure about the others since I cannot see the photo.
Let me try posting the picture again...
View media item 2614
I would give it a chance to cure for several weeks.
OK. Shall do!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back